Metal Engraving 1064 Infrared on Zinc Alloy

My material is Zinc Alloy, tyring to engrave using my xtool d1 1064 infrared, which they said it could do. I am getting nothing, Anyone know the settings for this? Power/Lines/speed etc?

I’m going to move your topic into the xTool section to get more interest and attention.

One user with a D1 1064 infrared felt that it was very sensitive to focal distance and that accuracy was lacking with the focal depth tool. This was proven out by the user by conducting a ramp test.

If you have a test or practice piece that is fairly flat, you set the focal distance further away from the work than expected, then with the work tilted, engrave your way toward the top of the ramp.

Burning zinc produces nasty fumes. Please ensure good ventilation.

Hi.

Even though it has been reported that recent XTool IR units do sport a correct length focus arm, IME/IMO the ramp test explained there is by far the best course of action.

Mine is ~year old, the focus arm was ~1.5mm too long.
IME the usable focus range on that unit is about 1mm so there’s really not much to play with, the focus has to be spot on.

That is also a very, very good point, “zinc fever” is no laughing matter.

Regards,
Sam

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.