New 40ft USB cable and now “laser is busy”

Hello, I have connected my laser (in the garage) to my computer (in my office) by this 40ft USB cable and now when I click :arrow_double_up:SEND in Lightburn I get a box that says “FILE TRANSFER FAILED” and “ There was a problem sending data to the laser. The machine may be busy or paused”

As you can see this is a copper plated usb cable with a built in signal repeater about half way through.

What am I doing wrong?

USB A to A Male Cable 40Ft,Tan QY USB to USB Cable USB Male to Male Cable Double End USB Cord with Gold-Plated Connector for Hard Drive Enclosures, Printers, Modems, Cameras (12M/40Ft) Amazon.com

Hello Brian,
As far as I know, the max lenth of a USB cable is 5 meter (16ft), so it could be possible that two times 20 ft is a bit long.
I use a camera in my laser on a usb port with a cable lenth of 10 meter and to get a stable connection I had to use two repeaters.
Regards,
Henk Markies

1 Like

Thanks Henk, I felt like I knew this was going to be the answer but I wanted to hear it from the hive. I’ll look for a different cable or a booster and try my luck again.

Thanks a lot for your response

Mac no likey USB

https://forum.lightburnsoftware.com/search?q=mac%20usb%20%40LightBurn

Your best bet is really going to be Ethernet. USB has a lot of limitations to it. Ethernet will let you run 100 meters, is way faster, and just flat works. Once you get Ethernet configured, you’ll wonder why it took you so long to do it. You’ll eliminate your connectivity problems.

1 Like

I have a 100 Ft standard Ethernet cable around and plugged it in. Light burn asked for the lasers IP address and I don’t know where to find it.

Is there a tutorial somewhere to help set up via Ethernet?

Edit:nevermind! I see you FAQ post above. Thank you so much!

They quite literally linked to it above.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.