New 8mp Camera?

If it’s not from the same manufacturer we use, there is no guarantee than the lens / sensor combo has the same coverage. Even our 110 8MP has MORE lens coverage than our 120 deg 5MP. Lens angle isn’t the only consideration.

ok, so asking the same question as everyone else.
i have a ThunderLaser Nova 63 130w, has a working bed of 1600mm x 1000mm , and maximum opened lid height of 940mm.

my guess in 8mp is the 110 but just checking for more experienced opinions.

The 110 would need to be a minimum of 666mm above the bed.
The 95 would need to be a minimum of 1066mm above the bed, so that would need more than you have.

So yes, it sounds like the 110 is the better choice. It would be better still if you can mount it lower than 940mm, but it should still work well from that height.

i could mount it anywhere lower than the 940mm. that is just the highest measurement for placement i could possibly get.
my lid is pretty stable and solid so i believe the positioning would be consistent.

so if that’s the one i need, then it is time to buy myself a christmas present. :slight_smile:

has anybody 3d printed (or otherwise created) a case for the 8mp 110 camera that anyone knows of?

or are the basic dimensions the same so the others will fit?

Basic dimensions of the 8mp are quite a bit larger. 15mm x 90mm for the board. Lens sits at the 40mm mark, off center, and about 26mm tall.

Going to try both just for comparison, can always send the 8mp/75 back to Amazon

I have a 50w blue white 500x300 with max open lid height of about 720mm. I ordered a 8Mp 75 degree camera last night. Hope that works out well.

Don’t “hope” and be surprised… calculate!

That calculator doesn’t include the new 8MP cameras.

It highlighted 60 in green. Pretty sure that calculator is not setup to include the 8Mp camera options as yhere is no 75 degree option.

Will the 75 be ok you think?

I have no idea - like I said, I haven’t had a chance to test or measure them yet, which is why they weren’t listed. They work - I got that far. The lenses seem close to the 5mp, so if the calculator told you the 60 would work it’ll probably be ok. Just surprised me - I didn’t remember your name on the label, I don’t always remember everyone’s name at this point.

Mike Heidrick. Ordered that and the license in.one order. I got the tracking number so something shipped to me in Bloomington IL. I have no problems testing it out.

Hey Brandon! I have a BOSS 1630 machine and i am looking at purchasing the lightburn software in order to utilize the camera to line things up. If I understand your post, you too have the 1630 and you have purchased the 8mp 95 deg camera. Reading your post, I am confused on where you mounted the camera? You mentioned the pedi cover? Forgive my ignorance but could you explain and maybe share a pic for clarification. If I mounted the camera to the backside of the handle, would the 95% also be sufficient? Finally, If I did mount with a directional mount, such as 1 of the aftermarket mounts similar to a GOPRO mount, would that be a better option to get a straight image? Thanks for your help

1 Like

You are correct on the machine and camera. I made a housing out of kydex and used a base for a old go pro camera that had the 3m tape on backside. If you go from where the handle is at and went straight up the front lid to where it curves to be the top part of the lid and stuck it to the lid where it is flat just before the lid. I was going to mount it on the handle but I figured that the straightest shot down would be the most accurate so that is why I moved it up the lid because on the handle would looking down at a angle. It works great and is pretty accurate, within a 1/16". I am too busy to mess with it right now but I may try make a new mount in the same spot to lower the camera a couple inches to fill up the frame more with the bed area in an effort to make it even more accurate, as you can tell from the pic I posted earlier it picks up well beyond the bed area and there is definable no need for the 110 on this machine or you would pick up even more area beyond the bed. Hope this helps, can try to get you a pic but I just don’t have time at the moment.

Thanks for getting back with me! I would appreciate that pic of where your camera is mounted and how far it hangs down now, at your earliest convenience. I will go ahead and order the 8mp 90degree camera and the software. By what you are saying, even if I mounted to the back of the handle and had a directional swivel like GoPro, it would still not be directly over the center of the bed? I’m looking for repetitive accuracy! I’m just glad to get an answer on which camera! Would you have any idea if a wireless camera would be an option? I’m running laser wirelessly now because I had to have such a long USB to get up and outta the way to be neat. Was loosing signal because of length. If I can’t get a wireless camera, I’ll have to rearrange my work room. Thanks for all your help and getting back with me

Wireless cameras are usually for security monitoring, don’t have the resolution required for the camera feature. The 8MP camera pushes about 50mb or so per second through the USB cable.

I have a 20’ usb cable I added to it and it works fine. The machine itself is wireless. image no it would not be directly over bed if mounted by handle. It may work just as well there after calibration. I don’t know but I just went with what I thought would give the best results and have not tried it at angle.

Ok, new here. Same question as everyone else and just a confused, I guess.

Have a 1300x900mm table and a lid height of 37 inches. My understanding is the 8 mp @ 95deg is what I should get?

Thanks