New 8mp Camera?

For a 900mm x 600mm bed

The lid is 11.5 inches above at max height. Can i theoretically move the bed to a specific z height to align stuff then auto focus that way i can mount to lid?

It’s not the bed, but the top of the material that has to be at a specific Z height.

To give you an idea why we suggest mounting up high, with the lid open:

Try resolving the individual mm marks on this ruler from this viewing angle.

The 160 degree lens we sell would need 333mm (13 1/4”) of mounting height to see your whole work area.

Yeah i just mean the bed can be lowered pretty significantly so seemed easy assuming the laser didn’t need to be 30mm above the material.

Oh i gotcha, would need to know exact thickness of material

It’s possible, but I wouldn’t recommend it because:

• Z tables are slow (you’d have to lower to preset + material height every time you wanted a capture)
  • You have to open the lid to place material anyway
  • Overhead mount with a narrow angle gives a better distribution of accuracy
  • The camera calibration tool doesn’t set the Z height, so it’d be fussy to do it there too
2 Likes

Okay cool, makes sense. So at 39 inch, would the 95 8MP be too much angle?

Ideal height for your machine would be 28" with that lens. You can mount higher without harm, but you’ll lose some precision in doing so. At that height you’d basically be discarding 1/4 of the pixels. If you can mount it closer, you should.

Hmm so better to use lower mp at that height?

Better to try to find a lens that fits for the height you have, or see if it can be mounted at a lower height.

Seems like the 5mp 60 is closer to recommended height than 8mp 95, just kinda curious if it’s a wash. Not sure where else we’d mount it.

If you moved those gas struts forward a few holes, it would lower the lid some, and make it more stable. Not sure how much, or if it would in the way there, but worth a shot.

The 60 would be a better lens choice just based on the angle, but at that distance with that bed size there can be issues getting good focus.

Alright I’ll try and work something out with the 60 mount(unless you think 8mp would be better to find a working height)

Did find a 8mp 80 degree which i imagine would be somewhere in between

If it’s not from the same manufacturer we use, there is no guarantee than the lens / sensor combo has the same coverage. Even our 110 8MP has MORE lens coverage than our 120 deg 5MP. Lens angle isn’t the only consideration.

ok, so asking the same question as everyone else.
i have a ThunderLaser Nova 63 130w, has a working bed of 1600mm x 1000mm , and maximum opened lid height of 940mm.

my guess in 8mp is the 110 but just checking for more experienced opinions.

The 110 would need to be a minimum of 666mm above the bed.
The 95 would need to be a minimum of 1066mm above the bed, so that would need more than you have.

So yes, it sounds like the 110 is the better choice. It would be better still if you can mount it lower than 940mm, but it should still work well from that height.

i could mount it anywhere lower than the 940mm. that is just the highest measurement for placement i could possibly get.
my lid is pretty stable and solid so i believe the positioning would be consistent.

so if that’s the one i need, then it is time to buy myself a christmas present. :slight_smile:

has anybody 3d printed (or otherwise created) a case for the 8mp 110 camera that anyone knows of?

or are the basic dimensions the same so the others will fit?

Basic dimensions of the 8mp are quite a bit larger. 15mm x 90mm for the board. Lens sits at the 40mm mark, off center, and about 26mm tall.

Going to try both just for comparison, can always send the 8mp/75 back to Amazon

I have a 50w blue white 500x300 with max open lid height of about 720mm. I ordered a 8Mp 75 degree camera last night. Hope that works out well.