New tile engraving method

The recipe listed above. Does this mean I can’t trust everything I read on the internet?

Mickey is the rich mouse in Orlando. I agree, but nobody seems to know the proper mix using powdered gum.

Like how many grams in a pint of water?

That was my mistake. I tried to coat the tile as if I were using normal paint.

Just one this time to lock in the spraying part.

Thanks to ALL for the feedback! I am going to leave out the gum until @jkwilborn says it helps. @BillieRuben 's suggestion for cold water makes sense. And Spray Like a Beginner looks like what @james.myatt is suggesting.
Jeeze I love this forum!!!

1 Like

This had me confused as to why you’d want texture when doing NWTM and should have brought it up…

Texture can mean a lot of things. The Gum Arabic was introduced by someone else, I was just researching it, not trying to be the authority. Textural effects can mean changing glossy to flat. I don’t think anyone here was expecting to put lumps in the spray. We keep bouncing around my original, and others, question, “What and how much of each?” Bits and pieces are sprinkled throughout these 348 messages, and other threads too, but I have not managed to locate a stable and repeatable mix formula.

2 Likes

Just saying that I found the link from which your recipe from(https://www.naturalpigments.com/gum-arabic-powder.html ) and the goal of post mentions creating textures and emulsions which is likely why it mentioned using so much of the gum arabic. And maybe it’s so they sell more of it. :wink:

Personally, when experimenting, I add stuff slowly and observe results since for some reason one persons ‘cook book’ doesn’t always seem to work the same when I ‘cook’. I’m hopeful this Gum Arabic becomes THE way to create a good brush-on coating since it’ll wash off easy and we can just let it dry then add water and mix again later for another use.

Yes, that looks like that was it, but no matter. Info was no good for our application.

Found a Forum posting with a lot of detail using TiO2 and water…

Hi Uncle Ron ! Hope you are keeping well and busy. I’ve not been doing any engraving until recently as I bought a new AtomStack A10 Pro machine and started again. I tried a new recommendation using Denature Ethanol 95% alcohol and mix with TiO2. It worked but this method I cannot touch the tile or it will remove the coating. Anyway I tried something interesting yesterday. Using the same process and added 2 teaspoon of PVA wood glue and mix it thoroughly before applying to the tiles. When dried it stayed on the tile and do not get removed easily unless I wash it. When doing engraving the end result looks OK. I only need one layer. My engraving end result was darker than normal even when using. Speed: 2800 and Power: 40%, so I will have to use lesser TiO2 powder.

Hi Jack ! Hope you are keeping well and busy. I’ve not been doing any engraving until recently as I bought a new AtomStack A10 Pro machine and started again. I tried a new recommendation using Denature Ethanol 95% alcohol and mix with TiO2. It worked but this method I cannot touch the tile or it will remove the coating. Anyway I tried something interesting yesterday. Using the same process and added 2 teaspoon of PVA wood glue and mix it thoroughly before applying to the tiles. When dried it stayed on the tile and do not get removed easily unless I wash it. When doing engraving the end result looks OK. I only need one layer. My engraving end result was darker than normal even when using. Speed: 2800 and Power: 40%, so I will have to use lesser TiO2 powder.

I’m glad to hear you have found a method that pleases you. After all that is the most important objective. Personally I have stopped experimenting with tiles etc. And even at this ripe old age have decided to spend most of my time learning more about lightburn and all its fantastic caperbilitys. I’m currently following Rick, the L A Hobby guy on YouTube. I watch his videos and then practice what he says. Keeps my old brain active and me out from under the wife’s feet. :wink: Nice to hear from you, cheers Ron.

1 Like

Thank you Ron. Glad to know you are keeping well. I’ve also subscribed to LA Hobby and they have interesting Things where I also learn. Enjoy what you’re doing.

I Uncle Ron. Need your advice please. I have been using my new Atomstack A10 Pro and doing ceramic engraving which work and have no problems. Unfortunately in the last engraving the laser engraver head lock screw when loose and slide down to the base and stopped. I Log out and log in again with the intention of doing engraving from the beginning. The Engraving machine seem to be working properly but it is not engraving. Initially I thought the tile that’s coated with TiO2 needed to have additional layers which I did added but it still do not burn. I tried another test using a tile coated with Rust Oleum paint but it also have the same problem. Is this LightBurn software issue. Look forward to any of your advice please. Thank you.

Difficult to say what the problem is and sorry to hear of your accident. First I would disconnect the Lazer machine from the computer with both turned off. After a few minutes which allows the capacitors in your controller to discharge reconnect everything and test the Lazer with something simple like a small circle on a bit of scrap material. If all’s well proceed as before. If the Lazer doesn’t draw the circle I would talk to lightnurn staff. My gut instinct is the controller has lost control of your machine and the above should reset it. Do let me know if you get it working. I’ve had a similar problem when I carelessly moved the head while paused and it crashed into the frame when I restarted it.

Good morning Uncle Ron ! Hope you had a great weekend. Mine weekend was great until this problem came up. I’ll try out and keep you informed.

Hi there im new to lasers and engraving having just recently got my xtool D1 Pro. I made up a mix of Duluxe colour Oxide water glue and 2 drops of dishwashing liquid and have ran the test grid and attached it, could you give me advice on if the test looks ok and correct and which setting speed/power looks the best for when I burn an image on the tile. Thank you in Advance

First I’d suggest you use the materials test in Lightburn. This will ensure you are varying the power/speed values as expected in your test…

You need to understand and think about how this power is being applied to the material and what the expected results are.

Generally speaking, if the speed is low and the power is high it’s going to do the most damage to the material compared to high speed/low power, less damage to the material…

I would not expect the 500mm/m square to be equal to the 1400mm/m square at the same power level…

I’d also think there is a problem when the darkness of the 500mm/m at 20% is almost identical to the same speed with 100% power, add to that in the center of that speed, were the power is 50% and it’s almost white…

Look at this test grid from @dkj4linux at post 168, you can see the change goes smoothly from low to high not only in speed but in power also.

Make sense?

There could be a few issues here…

1. artwork you made, isn’t asking the machine to do what you think it supposed to do.
  2. TiO2 coating isn’t evenly distributed across the area
  3. you have hardware issues.

I doubt you have hardware issues… it’s most likely that the coating is not even… I’ve had this issue. But it’s difficult to make these material tests, especially when it’s as large as yours requiring pretty good knowledge of how the layers and attributes …

The materials test does all of this for you including good labels… it’s quicker, easier and isn’t error prone as something hand rolled…

I understand why you posted here, but this is really better as a new thread… When you jump into a thread that’s 300+ posts, it’s hard to relate to, manage and keep track of…

We won’t shoot you for starting a new thread… :wink:

Maybe @JohnJohn can move this to it’s own thread…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Thank you for your help :+1:

Hi Uncle Ron. I followed your suggestion yesterday and managed to get the system working and back to normal again. Thank you

Glad you are back up and running👍

1 Like

Sorry for getting your name wrong, Mikey!

The gum arabic in watercolour is the ‘medium’; it’s the thing that turns pigment into paint. It’s basically a ‘glue’. Without it you would be able to brush the pigment off a surface once dry.

When folk talk about using it to get different textural effects, it’s about the quantity of pigment to gum. For example, with more gum to pigment, you get watercolour (a transparent effect) with more pigment to gum you make gouache (opaque matt paint) same ingredients, different ratios, different effects.

Gum arabic can also be used to ‘glaze’ a dry work to offer areas that are a bit glossy, or used to ‘push’ paint around when working ‘wet in wet’ with watercolour.

But its primary function in paint is that of a medium (the ‘glue’ that makes pigment into paint). Some other examples of mediums include dissolved acrylic (in acrylic paints) and boiled linseed oil (in oil paint).

The reason I suggest gum arabic is because it’s not just used as the medium for watercolour, but also for the traditional enameling methods of painting stained glass (like in church windows) whereby frit powder (finely crushed glass) is mixed with gum arabic and water (and sometimes additional pigment) to form a paint that doesn’t bead up on the surface of glass, but instead spreads thinly and evenly (this is then often selectively scratched off to form the image before firing the frit onto the glass in a kiln).

The reason gum arabic is best for our purposes here in engraving tiles is because:

• The tiles are glazed (with glass) as the outer surface, that’s what we’re painting upon and many other paint mediums bead up on glass.
  • It burns off cleanly (the firing in the kiln).
  • It dries quickly, in my experience a couple of minutes, but I live in the subtropics!
  • It’s removed with simple water
  • There’s no waste, you can just let the paint dry out and then later reconstitute it with water.
  • We know exactly what’s in it, we don’t have to risk the use of products (like PVA glue or commercial paint mediums) where the ingredients aren’t clear, and could potentially be dangerous when burned/inhaled (I’m most concerned with preservatives often added to such things).

This gentleman is mixing paint for painting glass with a brush. Seems like he’s been doing this for a long long time, so probably knows better than I! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Pfs-_Xa84
Hopefully he will be better at explaining quantities than I was. Sorry I couldn’t be more exact, it varies based on humidity and starting materials and such, and it really is one of those things that you need to just reach the right viscosity by ‘feel’ hence my comparisons to vegetable oil.

We may also want to experiment with paint mulling (grinding the paint smooth between glass) Mulling Paint: A beginner-ish guide — Scribal Work Shop for folk that are getting lumping issues or using sprayers. Glass mullers are expensive but charity stores often offer great alternatives, you just want something glass with a somewhat solid and very flat bottom, that doesn’t feel too clunky to hold. Candlesticks, vases, drinking glasses, paper weights, and old glass bottle stoppers are some options. :slight_smile:

Also be sure to clean your tile before painting. Especially make sure it’s free of oils or detergents. If you are getting little dots that the paint is shrinking away from, it’s becasue your tile isn’t clean.

I’ll try and get a proper guide together with the results and such!

2 Likes

I just reconstituted my old paint, brushed it on, and did a test engrave using the same settings I use for corrugated cardboard, and this is the result.

I need to play with the settings a bit; I reckon I need to lower my line interval and speed. The vertical streaking is a product of the speed and the direction changes, not the brushing of the paint, the brush lines were horizontal.

But just wanted to demonstrate that it works as I describe. :slight_smile:

3 Likes