New to lightburn

I’m about 4 days away from receiving my new 80w red and black laser with a topwisdom controller. I am excited about using lightburn. I have a few questions. I have ran diode lasers for a few years and a glowforge for the past 2+ years.

1. I was planning on using the usb thumb drive instead of direct connection. Can this be done or will I need a computer connected to it for calibration? My computers are 25 ft away.

2. Can I import svg into lightburn for settings up my tool paths (I come from a cnc router background)?

I know I’ll be reading a bunch here. So thank you for your time!

1 Like
  1. TopWisdom allows setting a lot of the machine settings through the control panel, so chances are you won’t need a direct connection. LightBurn will let you save to a file and put that on a USB to run on the laser.

2. LightBurn supports SVG, AI, DXF, PDF, HPGL, and many image formats. For the vector formats, only the outlines of shapes are extracted, so any files that treat their contents like ‘paint’ will likely need some rework, or you can just export them as images and use them that way. To illustrate, read this post:

And welcome! I recognize your name from the Inventables forum years ago.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely read through that.

Good morning Phil
I am in negotiations to buy the exact laser you are running. I was just wondering your feed back on how the laser performs? I have never bought a china laser so was a little worried on quality and performance. Any feedback would be greatly appropriated.
Thanks

I just finally got it in my basement. trying to buy Lightburn now.

hey there! trying to purchase now.

Do I buy the

LightBurn Software - DSP License Key
Regular price $80.00

to get the Topwisdom support (as good as you guys have it)?

Correct, the DSP version includes TopWisdom support.

1 Like

awesome!! buying now