Newbie has questions about stars on flag

By the way, it might be easier to see how things change in real-time as you design if you change the View Style in the Window menu. Pick one of the “Filled” styles. This will make is so that fills actually show as filled in the workspace.

This can cause performance problems for very complex projects so something to keep in mind if that comes up.

Thank you for such prompt and clear advice and coaching. Problem solved in less than a couple hours while I was doing household chores. Amazing!
Have a great day!

I would have thought and understood that you wanted the stars burned, not the background. However I can understand if you want ‘white’ stars.

Another thing to look at is the time it takes to run… over 8 1/2 hours…?

At a distance of nearly a million mm’s…

Good luck

:smiley_cat:

That’s okay. Let’s get @anon88048707 in here to tell us how he’s wasting 2/3 of the day not actively burning.

I am trying to end up with white stars on a dark background with the “red” stripes being dark also. I am hoping to get at least a two color version of a flag that way and will use this as a basis to add military, law enforcement, or patriotic vectors in the stripes to the right of the stars.
Yeah, the distance seems like a lot. Might play with line spacing. I think that the preview time is related to max speed parameters of my 3018-PRO and since I don’t have my new, faster unit yet, I haven’t been able to have Lightburn grab the new unit’s device data. What it is working with right now was a machine that had about a 1200 mm/min max speed before it started missing steps.
I’m open to suggestions on optimizing this file. I sure the learning experience will be priceless.
Right now, I am using this as a learning exercise while I’m waiting for my new laser to arrive.

Thanks for your comments

@GizmoGuy, this is worth review to help with understanding how fills work, with visual examples. :slight_smile: There are also optimizations that can significantly alter the time required to achieve the results you are after. Understanding the limits of your new laser (speed, power, dot size, et al.) will help in knowing the best optimizations for a given task.

1 Like

I did purchase a good quality set of protective glasses when I got my first laser. They are 160-460nm OD6+. Having used them, they make block so much its difficult to focus my adjustable focus laser. They seem to do a great job and were recommended in another laser group by the group founder. I have no problem purchasing another set and relegating these to “back up” but as a rule, I don’t watch my laser while monitoring it for safety, fire, etc.
Thank you.

My mistake… read them upside down. They are 190-490 NM, OD6+

Thank you. That helps immensely.

Actually, since it was on a 3018-PRO, I left the focus ring alone, set the distance in the ballpark with my calipers, and Fine tuned it with small jogs on the z axis. It was just difficult to see the spot size change with these glasses when focusing. Bought a fixed focus unit this time.

I like that idea. Even if only to have a backup dowel. I think the unit that I bought, will be a little more easy to keep perpendicular to the work by virtue of the manual z adjustment. It seems to be of reasonable quality. I suppose that will open up other potential issues but we shall see…

I would die sitting in the garage to babysit my laser for almost an entire day… I’d love to see a picture.

It’s generally considered bad practice to allow lasers (really, any automated equipment) to run without supervision.

Hunt around on these ‘fires’ and it’s usually a commercial company cutting acrylic, the same job over and over. Tough to get people to sit and watch, so many end up in flames. I keep a 5 pound bottle of co2 for fire suppression.

Lasing is the act of ‘burning’ as part of their function, so there is always a fire danger. I’m sure there is much ‘threat’ with a low power machine, but might not be a good idea as a habit. They still burn and all it really takes is a flame with oxygen and fuel (like your desk or home.)

How many of these Chinese consumer products have exploded or burst into flames?

Another issue is that my cats love to chase the CNC machine while it’s running. So when using one of the small machines inside I ‘eject’ all the animals out of my work room.

Good that you have protection and an extra set for visitors, they all want to ‘see’ the laser work. I use my regular glasses for the co2 and have a set of ‘safety’ glasses from home depot (with side shields) for visitors.

Just understand what you have and use common sense and you’ll probably be fine.

Above all be safe and have fun :crazy_face:

Enjoy your new toy… take care.

Thank you.
I may have given the impression that I would leave my laser alone because of a 19 hour burn… Reality couldn’t be farther from the truth (although the need to babysit it, WOULD take quite a toll).
I have worked around hazardous machinery, welding, electrical hazards, inhalation risks, pulmonary irritants, and other industrial hazards for 45+ years. While I may not be an expert on all of these potential hazards, I have had extensive training with an emphasis on preventing injuries, illnesses, and equipment damage when working in the presence of these hazards.
With this background, I heartily endorse everything you just said and encourage others to take personal responsibility for their safety and that of the others (including pets) that may be in the work area, whether it be intentionally OR inadvertantly.

I AM looking forward to “playing” with my new toy. My wife is smiling because she has seen more excitement and smiles from me in the last week than in the last year… It’s amazing how a little freedom (retirement) can affect your attitude.

Thank you for the encouragement and advice. I always appreciate advice and counsel from someone that is further down the road in their journey and look forward to being able to give back in like kind.

1 Like

I started with a solid state (ss) laser, but quickly moved up to a co2. Have modified it a bit, which is it’s purpose, to learn how it works…

With your back ground, I’m sure you’ll do fine. Not a problem with questions, this is a good group…

Take care…

1 Like

I wouldn’t suspect that your burns would be unsupervised. I envy you being in a good position to take advantage of technology to overcome the disputes between safety and convenience. Sounds like an awesome set up.

“Purple K fire extinguishers are not designed to be used in extinguished fires on sensitive computer equipment or in server rooms. This is due to the dry chemical extinguishing agent being harmful to the electrical equipment. For electrical fires that involve sensitive electrical equipment it is best to use “Clean Agent Fire Extinguishers”, such as Halotron fire extinguishers.”

Add to that you shouldn’t use a ‘dry’ type extinguisher on this type of machinery or anything with ‘greasy go-rounds’.

That Purple K will work great on all this stuff… :crazy_face:

I have 5lb co2 gas extinguishers.

Couldn’t afford the new version of halon, plus on my laser there is likely very little ‘stuff’ to burn as it’s cleaned before it’s put away and I use a sheet metal bottom. So I figured in this instance the co2 would be fine as it’s probably going to be just a knock down…

I know all the computer rooms I worked in during the 80’s had halon installed.

I know it’s out of my budget, either kind…

Well, for now, I am glad that my diode lasers operate on low voltage brick power supplies whose output voltage is below any arc flash hazard levels and as an electrician/millwright for most of my working career, I don’t see these issues in my situation. I have 3 class A,B,C fire extinguishers within 20 feet of my work area and if I have a fire, I WILL sacrifice the machines to save my garage.
One day, when I decide to do CO2, I don’t see myself buying one of the more expensive commercial machines so I still don’t anticipate getting involved in exotic fire suppression systems. My intent is to work LESS, not more and even if I purchase a more production capable laser, I don’t see myself buying one that I can’t unplug and douse with water.
That’s not to say that those who DO need or want these high cost machines shouldn’t protect them, it’s just that those issues may never be on my radar again.

1 Like