Ortur Laser suddenly stopped engraving correctly

Hi all. We have been using our Ortur laser to engrave walnut knife handles with customers initials for 1+ years.

We use 3000 speed, 100% power with 3 passes. And usually that produces a really clean, deep engraving.

Then suddenly yesterday it stopped engraving deeply and started a fainter, more smudge-like burn.

We didn’t change any settings or anything. The only thing that changed was we started using a different USB cable as the one provided with the laser wasn’t long enough.

Any help would be great!!

Josh

Does going back to the shorter cable resolve the issue? If so, then obviously some sort of signal quality issue.

If not then likely a coincidence.

I’d suggest:

1. Reconfirm proper focus distance. Don’t know if you’re focusing before each burn or if you’re always burning the same material but you should reconfirm the distance as something may have shifted.
  2. Check that lens to see if it’s been dirtied. Clean with IPA.
  3. Recheck cut settings. You mention the value 3000 for speed but don’t list units. Make sure that you’re using consistent units with what you used previously.
  4. If none of these things work it’s possible that your laser module is on its way out. How many hours roughly do you have on the module? Are you using at 100% power exclusively? Which specific module are you using?

Thanks so much for your help! Refocussing has definitely helped; but the engraving is still much less clean. It’s not as deep into the wood and has much less definition. Current settings attached.

I think perhaps the laser module is on the way out. We have been using it everyday for nearly two years.

Can you buy a replacement for that?

Did you clean your lens? Do you use air assist and then stopped (e.g. it died, blocked, etc.)?

I think you can buy new modules, perhaps even upgrade. You’d need to go to Ortur and see what they offer.

Then I think very likely that your module is going out if you’ve checked everything else.

Yes. Note that most of Ortur’s new modules are 24V units so you would need a separate power supply to the laser module if you went with one of those. I do believe they still sell at least one 12V unit.

There’s also nothing keeping you from going to a different manufacturer for a replacement as long as you can get it to mount and make sure the pin layout for the connector is the same. Many manufacturers will provide the necessary connector to connect to various brands.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.