Ortur laser won't turn on after attempted firmware update

Do you have a 3.3v FTDI cable or the STLink v2?

Also, if you can still get it to present the Ortur USB drive then it’s probably possible to flash the firmware on the Mac using the same command line tool I’ve used on Linux.

Ok. Pretend you are talking to a 5yr old. By present you mean when I try to connect I can see the drive on my PC or Mac. No I can’t.
Do you have a 3.3v FTDI cable or the STLink v2?
Nope. But I am willing to send you the board.

Send me a Private Message and we’ll work out the details of getting the board to me and visa versa.

We’re having the same problem. Would you be willing to try to walk us through what you know? Our PC won’t even see it now after trying to update.

Keith, have you read though this?

https://forum.lightburnsoftware.com/t/ortur-laser-master-and-laser-master-2-firmware-updates-1-34/11714

The steps to putting the bootloader onto it are not for non-programmer types. Requires removing the board, carfully removing solder from some header pin holes, having a programmer(STLink v2, the flashing software and the bootloader which needs premission from Ortur directly.

Not a GUI menu point and click thing.

Thanks I read through the thread, couldnt find any help there.

Great, what was the cause of the problem and what is the status of the system now?

Same as before. Ghost red light, won’t power on and computer doesn’t “see” it.

What caused the problem?

We tried to update the firmware. As soon as we went through the process of doing it it wouldn’t turn on anymore or be viewed as a drive on the computer. Tried uninstalling and re installing software, but it didn’t work.

1 Like

Hi Keith, sorry but all I get from that is you tried to update, something didn’t work as expected and now it won’t allow you to update nor start the firmware. That’s not much information more then saying it’s broken. There’s little I can do to help typing msg back and forth. Heck, I have no idea what computer operating system you are running, what laser cutter model you have nor what “software” was uninstalled and reinstalled.

You asked previously if I would walk you through fixing this and I mentioned a message thread to educate you on the correct process of updating the firmware and also why it happens for different reasons and tools/proceedures needed to fix it. Also mentioned what skills and equipment it would require on YOUR part to ‘walk you through’ the repair process but you never responded to that.

If you have an Ortur Laser Master( not the 2 since I don’t know what system board that has) and want to ship the board to San Diego, CA I will try to reflash the bootloader and install their v1.34 firmware(GRBL 1.1f). Otherwise, you probably need to contact Ortur for a replacement board and figure out what went wrong(should have learned that by reading the threat I linked) and how to identify the firmware version running. Ortur support email is ortur@ortur3dprinter.com and they have been sending out replacement boards, mostly to Mac users who didn’t notice it requires a Microsoft Windows computer or virtual machine to update(unless you use the tools I listed in that thread).

I couldn’t access the flash drive with win 7, but windows 10 worked for me. I can install V1.32 and it worked again but V1.34 just a dim red light. I contacted Gearbest and after a week of back and forth they come back with the same instruction to install the firmware “word for word”… Also stating each board is tested working at the factory…

I haven’t been able to respond due to the 3 comment Noob limitation but I can now!
I’m still waiting a response from Gearbest but in the meantime, I spoke to Ortur and after righting my machine off, it is now back in action- with 1.34
Gearbest must be limited in what they can do because they present the ‘faults’ as Third Party, not being knowledgeable enough about the product to present the faults accurately. It is Dire if the Bootloader becomes corrupt but the Ortur is a very forgiving machine and not likely to Brick without good reason. Mine was putting 2 .bin files in because I misread the instructions (I think!)

MIne was resurrected and the only thing I did myself that I’d not done before is to unhitch the motors and laser before attempting firmware update (if its stuck in Dim Red Light mode).
First, I inserted the power and connected it to computer (Win10).
If the ‘reset’ button is held in, the pc connects then immediately disconnects but by repeating the procedure as many times as it took, I was presented with an Ortur folder containing a single text file.
Just Paste or Drag the 1.34 Bin file in, and then tap the reset once.
The dim red light disapeared, needing the machine to be powered up and voila, it worked for me.
I was even going to the extent of Learning how to program STM32!

We tried it, but the Ports (COM & LPT) doesn’t show up in Device Manager. Were you having the same issue and then just trying it a bunch of times fixed it and it can up?

It seemed that by disconnecting everything to do it, made the difference.
Mine wasn’t showing any devices either but after trying every possible combination of key presses with the power and reset buttons Held down, while powering up or when the machine was ‘dormant’, then pressing the ‘reset’ and holding it, yielded a folder on the screen, waiting for firmware. Once copied in and the reset button pressed once, it came to life!
It did not require reprogramming of the Bootloader but it seemed that its firmware update process was confused, probably by me being careless in the beginning.

My machine went in my cupboard about a week ago because like you, i’d resigned myself to it being Bricked but after getting in touch with Ortur and following the same instructions - with the addition of disconnecting motors/laser - resulted in it eventually working.
I was convinced it would have needed to be reprogrammed or board replaced completely.
I may be wrong but I’m certain that you’ll get it eventually! It appears that the STM32 based system the Ortur uses is pretty much bomb-proof. Only after it came back to life could I say this, but I think it would take something catastrophic such as electronic hardware failure or ESD corruption of the Bootloader to truly render the Ortur a Brick

This is the vital part ^
In my case, I thought it tried everything but it seemed by giving the machine a Threatening posture, by talking to Ortur about flashing the Bootloader and disconnecting motors and laser did it :crazy_face:
If I could have recorded every single step I took I could say exactly here but I wasn’t getting devices appearing either, not even in the STM32 Programmer.
It seems the machine has this Dormant state when it is waiting for correct firmware. By having everything nearby and watching pc screen avidly for Ortur folders appearing after the “Power + Reset…Release Reset” procedure. Maybe the holding in of both buttons long enough to recover the update process did it but I cant be certain

@Bagpipe way too many times Windows issues are related to how the file is decompressed from the zip file… IIRC don’t use WinZip, don’t drag and drop from archive tool viewer, use RAR and copy file after decompressed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.