OS compatibility

I know that I have seen that Chromebooks can run Lightburn but my question is, will Chrome OS run lightburn? Thank you in advance.

How are you differentiating this? Do you mean a Chrome OS install on a standard laptop?

If so, I don’t see why this would be any different fundamentally than a Chromebook. The key would be in insuring that Chrome OS install is able to run Linux applications and running on x64 hardware.

The Cromebook that I bought has Chrome OS on it as the operating system. but I was wondering if anyone has a Chromebook with this that will download it? I know Windows will run LB as will Mac and Linux. I edited this because I just remembered that Chrome OS is a Linux program. I do wonder if it works on a Chromebook with Chrome OS and maybe an external HD for space. This thing is so thin and light it be awesome to just carry around as needed for some quick design work.
I may be trading it for a regular windows laptop but if I come across another deal like that one it would be good to know. Am I correct that Chrome OS is different than Windows OS?

ChromeOS is not supported. There is the possibility of running the Linux version on certain Chromebooks, but I have not heard any reports of good results. ChromeOS is not Windows, that is correct.

Yeah I just edited my above reply to include some info I looked up.
Thank you for the help.

I’m not sure if I fully understand the ask because you seem to answer the question in the first post but then ask a question that contradicts that in the second post.

Again, they key parts to determining whether or not LightBurn can be made to work on ChromeOS running on a Chromebook or otherwise is whether or not that version is current enough to allow running Linux app and whether or not the device is x64.

What model Chromebook do you have? That will clarify some of this?

I believe there are at least a couple of folks in this forum using Chromebooks with LightBurn. @dkj4linux comes to mind.

Read a post on recent break fix that was made to his computer to get LightBurn to work:

First, I’m sorry about the confusion in last night’s post. There were some distractions here and I didn’t realize I had not been clear.
The laptop is an Asus model CX1500CN Notebook PC with Chrome OS. Manufacture date is 01 of 2022.
I will have to look at the other information in your repy and go from there. I thank you for your help.

No worries about the confusion. Life is life.

Couldn’t find much about this specific model but looks to be running an Intel chip and a recent version of Chrome OS. In that case it’s very likely that this could be made to work. Note that you’d be somewhat off-roading going down this path. I’m answering the technical question of “can this work”, not the practical question of “should I do this”.

Thank you and yes, not everything that can be done should be done.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.