LightBurn on Chromebook - ran beautifully on Debian9("Stretch"), not on "Buster"/"Bullseye"

I know that Lightburn on Chromebook is not officially supported but…

Since Nov 2019, I have successfully run LightBurn (0.9.11 thru 1.06) on Acer/Samsung Chromebooks in developer mode, with a Linux container based on Debian9(Stretch). Usually just to create cutfiles for both diode (gcode) and CO2(dsp) lasers… but recently also to directly control Neje Master 2S Plus and similar diode laser engravers. It was wonderful… and a pleasant surprise!

Recently, however, my Chromebooks started throwing pop-ups about the need to upgrade my Linux container… Debian9(Stretch) is no longer supported. After upgrading to Debian11(Bullseye) or Debian10(Buster) – I’ve tried both – Lightburn will no longer run. It errors out, on a clean install, not finding “libssl3.so”…

At 75, I’m long past being able to decipher Linux’s mysteries/innards to any real depth and my understanding of Linux “containers” on Chromebook is limited. My daughter and I, both, have found LightBurn to be a joy to use and Chromebooks are especially nice… we’d love to continue using them with Lightburn. Do any of you more Linux-literate folks see this as something reasonably fixed?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

– David

Found it in the Debian packages. Don’t really know what a chromebook uses for a cpu, so you might try and install the proper package from your repository.

The package is libnss3

https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=libssl3.so&mode=exactfilename&suite=stable&arch=any

@LightBurn might be the best resource. Let’s hope he drops by…

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

Try this:

apt-get update
apt-get install libnss3

The installer will pick the right architecture version.

1 Like

Thank you, guys! You are almost there…

After trying to get my head wrapped around Debian’s packages and package management, I finally discovered that the “libnss3” package needed to be installed…

sudo apt install libnss3

Trying LB once again… no libssl3 error any more… but now this one (which we’ve seen before)…

So needs one more…

sudo apt install libpulse-mainloop-glib0

Voila! Lightburn starts and seems to be running normally on Debian 10 (Buster)!

I might as well go and try on “Bullseye” as well but for now… I’m stoked! I’ll let you know how it goes with Debian 11 (Bullseye) and anything else I see.

Once, again… thanks for the help!

– David

EDIT: Checked on Debian 11 (Bullseye) and it seems to work there as well! Again, thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.