Possible bad low voltage power supply

About 2 weeks ago, I had the laser tube end cap, the coolant intake end, come off and coolant went everywhere (this is the OMTech coolant). Needless to say, the tube was toast. After cleaning up the coolant and getting a new tube, my laser would start up and would pulse. This is a 50w Chinese laser.

To test further, I started move the tube around and cutting little 1 inch circles all over the work bed. The laser will work for anywhere from 1 to 4 minutes then the LED light bar will start flickering, the controller arrows will not move the tube and then the panel will go dark. I also noticed that the green light on my low voltage power supply will go off.

If I let it set for 10 or 15 minutes, I can repeat the same thing again. I though at first that maybe there was still fluid in the PS but after running a fan on it overnight, the same thing happens.

Have I damaged my low voltage power supply or is it something else?
If I need to replace my low voltage power supply (I’m assuming it is 24v) can someone give me a link to a new one that will work in my machine?

Thanks,

Donnie

Easy enough to check your voltage and see if it’s in specs and not fluctuating or dropping out.

I’m pretty sure I need to replace the 24v power supply. If you notice in the pic my current one has 8 connectors. I cannot find one with the last 5v connector for the LED bar. Help?

Gotta love slobbered hot-melt glue as line-voltage insulation.

Perhaps one of these will fit the space available:

Note that lasers tend to have power supplies rated for less than the actual peak current demand of all the motors / controllers / LEDs / whatever. You should add up all those numbers and round up to the next multiple of 5 A to ensure
it brings enough current to the fight.

Thank you for this suggestion. I don’t think it will fit plus it is ordered basically backwards and the wires may not reach.

I ordered one from Amazon. A Mean Well brand and the #!#%^#$% Chinese put the wrong item in the box labels for the one I ordered. I don’t want to deal with them again.

Can someone give me a link to match the one that I show in the picture. Here is the label from the bad one.

Removed links.

Sorry to step in.

24v power supply + 5v adapter ,

I didn’t see the 5vdc output too. I did find an exact match.

OMTech makes more than one type of co2…

I’m clueless of what kind of machine you have… sounds like a K40 type with the lps and 5V supply all in one.

Most of the large machines have a different lps.

You profile only includes an ssl (diode)…

:smile_cat:

Sorry, my bad. It is a 50w Blue and White Chinese CO2 that looks like an OMTech but not one.

Does it have a Ruida or dsp controller?

It sounds like a k40 type, so some of this information may not apply…

Do you have a photo of the controller, if you don’t know what type it is?

It is a Ruida controller. It’s not a K40. I said it was a 50w Chinese laser in the original post. Here are some pics.

I would disconnect the x and y axis and laser PWS and see if the machine stays on. Wondering if the 24v power supply is overheating. You should be able to disconnect the power from each component?

It’s hard to tell exactly from a remote position, but it sounds like the 24V supply is failing.

Many of these use a 5V tap to supply the K40 control boards, so it confused me… Yours is almost a duplicate of mine … along with how the controller is oriented.

It’s before and relatively current state…

I guess we’ll hold off until the power supply comes in and you can change it out…

Thanks for updating with a photo, that’s a lot better…

Mine was listed at 50W, just like yours, tube is only 880mm in length and produces ~43W… to be 50W it needs to be about 1000mm in length… probably wider than the case…

I’ve used this chart and find it pretty close to length/power values. Measure your tubes length

Good luck with the supply swap

Jack,

Thank you for the reply. I would wait for the power supply but… I can’t get a handle on which power supply to purchase. What I am hoping is that someone can look the specs on my current one (wattage, connectors, etc…) and give me a link to the one that I need. By my own admission, I am a novice when it comes to the electronics. I have been unable to find a power supply that matches the connectors that my current one has or with the same labeling. I’ve found some with 8 connectors but the labeling is different. Here is a better pic of the connectors on my current one along with the power specs.

Thanks,
Donnie

You already have a link @micrololin posted above.

Yes, I saw that. When you click on the link, the company is closed due to a Chinese holiday so I cannot ask questions about shipping, tariffs, taxes, etc… or get the product shipped for a couple of weeks.

I have orders waiting and need to be back up as quickly as I can.

Thanks,

Donnie

Check this one out.

https://www.amazon.com/ISSUA-Switching-Regulated-Circuit-Transformer/dp/B0CC5ZFMP4?th=1

This one also has the dual outputs with a higher amp output.

@micrololin Jeff, thank you for the follow up. This one would work but I need 2 24v outputs and it only has 1.

So to put this thread to rest, I want to thank EVERYONE for your knowledge and help. Not only did you try to solve a problem for me but I also learned a little about the electronics in my laser.

I ordered the following from Amazon this morning. This is essentially the solution that @parsec proposed but the reducer he linked is not available. Thank you parsec.

The PS has 3 24v outputs and the converter is a reducer from 24v to 5v. This gives me the two 24v and one 5v output that I need, but…

Now the question is how to wire the reducer. I understand coming out of the PS on the 24v but how do I wire the reducer. Here is a pic. If someone could tell me or draw me the connections, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Donnie