PWM frequency change Via gcode, assigned by layer

This rather lengthy thread may be of interest, as it goes into ways to measure the actual speed:

Keep in mind that the LightBurn speeds, G-Code feedrate values, and GRBL settings do not control reality.

Choosing arbitrary speed and acceleration values, without regard to the machine’s actual capabilities, will make problems hard to diagnose (particularly for folks around here) when the machine produces bad-looking results.

My apologies, that I did not update that. L to spindle minus is hooked up.

Im going to hook up ground tomorrow between the laser psu and the 24v psu.

They are both grounds to earth. 24v psu to the wall ground and the laser psu to 8’ ground rod outside the garage.

The power override is in increments of 10% starting at 10% being the lowest you can go, it’s default when you open the menu is 100%.so g code is still commanding s1000, but somehow the pwm is being overdrive via the power %

The question is what do you have power set to before you apply the percentage increase?

:smile_cat:

I have done testing in increments of 100mm/s and 10% power increase from 300mm/s at 30% all the way to 2000mm/s at 200% override.
My motor does not slip the belt, my machine does not shake excessivly.
I will find itslimit, either mechanically or electronically and provide the results

I have not done a measurement of actual speed.
I will soon using the camera method of taking a video across a marked distance.

I’ll make 10cm long rectangles to engrave and watch that at every speed from 300 to 2000, to see what’s really happening.

. 1% overscan is too much and it actually makes 2000 take longer than say 1900 because the distance Is greater…

Overscan off makes my engraving incomplete at the edges.

My type 2 unbranded laser psu, has almost zero internet documentation that I can find, other than basic hook ups.
I’ll be adding additional grounding to it as well.

I am done messing with mks firmware. It is absolutely trash fire dumpster heap…

I will be upgrading to fluidnc, regardless of the major inconvenience of not having a screen mounted to my machine to run repeating batch jobs quickly in the short term.

Long term fix will be to use a secondary esp32 to act an an AP of its own wifi network, and then use that as intermediate connection between my Mks DLC32 and an android tablet that I have.

Something strange is going on and I will get to the bottom of it.

Untill I have a new list of findings, I’ll be off the webs asking questions… Quite frustrating, but I have to remember, my $1300 machine that’s 4’x4’ and 40 watts, is at least 5x cheaper than the cheapest one commercially available…

Ive probably burnt through that much value messing with this “prototype”.

And finally, the laser scene has blown up so much in the last few years, like 3d printing did a decade ago…
Maybe it’s time to rethink why I’m bothering…

Did you actually time this?

Did you get a video of this running at 5000mm/s?

This thread should have ended when you realized you couldn’t change the pwm frequency… If you have another issue, then a new thread is called for…

Most people find resolutions from searching the titles, most won’t allow you to search the text… So nobody will find any of this extraneous information without reading through the whole thing, which isn’t going to happen…

I suggest you pick what was the solution to the title question, mark it solved, start a new thread with one issue… When that is solved, it’s closed with a solution and if there is another issue move on to it with another new thread…

Make sense?

At this point I don’t know what you are trying to fix or what to advise.

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.