Question - converting USB only interface on laser to wifi or bluetooth

Would it be possible to activate the wifi thru VS Code?
It seems that the ESP is a ESP32-S2 according to CV-30 Mainboard Kit | Creality Cloud

I wouldnt know, but you would nee to know the boot loader, how the compile it
The dependencies
is not trivial at all, and is not open source either

What if i connect a ESP-01S to RX/TX on the mainboard then ? Only problem is to figure out where RX and TX is located.

i would say, tongue in cheek, the time you already spent would be worth to have gone another path.

with that said, i think you are missing a crutial point here.
Creality firmware must be enabled to “speak” with your hardware you add on.
Lets assume you locate the RX/TX and you wire it all up
Both your board and the firmware board must have a protocol/function to comunicate with eachother. Furthermore the creality board must be EXPECTING this to be coms in a given protocol and know what to do with this

From what i found recently, i am almost certain Creality firmware itself does not support this even on its basic firmware.
I am open to be corrected of course, but you would have basicly to rewrite the bootloader, and both firmwareds

What if someone build a new firmware based on FluidNC and flash the CV-30 with that then

I spent 3 decades working with computers… over 12 years teaching different languages… When you read a students code and wonder what planet they came from, gives you an idea of how varied the thought processes are between people. One of the more interesting aspects of teaching software. Some come up with some very unique ways to handle stuff… but you can’t know unless you can read the code.

I’ve built and programmed the esp wroom variants…

Turning on the wifi won’t make it work… There has to be associated software to move the data to where it can be used. How it will interface with the existing hard/software and override the standard usb to receive data from the wifi…

@gilaraujo is correct, without intimate knowledge of the firmware, that it’s pretty hopeless. We’re being pretty generous here saying you can hack it, but the truth is it’s virtually impossible.

To really make this happen, you need, not only the source code, but a schematic to tell you what goes where hardware wise.

The only real use of following this path is academic, not functional. It’s highly likely that once you have modified it, all of it as a whole, may not function as expected…

We see it all the time and the saying of fix one bug, a bunch more come to the funeral comes from simple fixes breaking things big time. Even if you know what you’re doing, it’s very easy to change something and not realize the effect down the road.

A quicker and cheaper approach will happen in your lifetime if you just change out the controller to something you can use now.

The most simple way is to create a wifi to usb, where the stream is send over wifi and is converted to a usb connection… This is a lot of programming, hardware and frustration to get something this simple to work.

One of these wifi → usb dongle would have a better chance of working…

I’d try something like this dongle before I’d go down the path you’re following…

However, you’d think if these worked for others in this application, many people would be doing it and it’d be all over the Internet :thinking:

Good luck with whatever you choose… we’ll try to assist if we can…

:smile_cat:

I sign under all @jkwilborn rightly wrote :slight_smile:
@Steelnecks you are trying to make things talk that dont know about the existance of eachoter

I read somewhere that Creality CV-30 firmware is somehow based on FluidNC and i did find a LaserGRBL repository named “LaserGRBL-4.9.4-Falcon”
I did open it in VSCode and saw “WifiConfigurator” and it also says “Ortur Wifi Config”. Can it be that Creality has based its firmware on Orture Lasers ?
Sorry if i ask a lot, i dont have any background in this kind of electronic. Im just a Truck mechanic and can fully dissassemble/rebuild a Scania V8 and work with auto electronics in vehicles made before 2011.
We all have our special knowledges, and thats great because what if all of us only knew electronics and nothing else, where would we be then ?
The biggest problem with people that has worked with something in their “interestzone” all their life classify other people as stupid when they dont understand it to 100%, and if people did not ask questions on problems the world would never grow in knowledge. Many inventors of new products dont know exactly how to make their idea function and do actually ask people with knowledge in particular areas. Nothing is impossible and if you dont belive me, maybe its time for you to think a little on why you started your proffession all those years ago.

thre is some opensource code of ortur but it never got finishedon wifi part... if they used it... it will NOT work

As a second read, you are checking LaserGrbl source code, not the firmware
LaserGrbl is a streamer (functions like lightburn) not the firmware
Wifi Configuration is just a tool Diego built in so wifi can be configured on Ortur machines (OLM3 and forward) to having to do commands in console to setup wifi.

First off, relax… we are here to help, not to label people, as you put it. We want you up and having fun running your laser. To learn these it takes time and there are a lot of variations out there.

No one here called you stupid, that was your own interpretation. Don’t confuse stupidity and ignorance.

We are knowledgeable here and you asked us and we advised you. We did try and tell you it’s unlikely and difficult. You didn’t believe us, but you persisted.

You’re more than welcome to continue, even at other sources. And we’ll help you if we can, because we learn also.

If you search around the Internet, you’ll find lots of people that would love to use their wifi for this exact purpose. Few have only succeeded only by lots of software/hardware knowledge along with a big does of time and effort for modification of the firmware at the source level.

You won’t be able to even get to the board to upgrade it if some type of updating software isn’t available. Since it’s proprietary, I doubt that’s an option.

I prefer not to starve and freeze, so you and your cohorts are all my heroes. You need to get this chip off your shoulder… drop the ‘just’ from your truck driver description :+1:

All electronics have only got more technical since then.

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

You could try a USB-WIFI-USB approach, but there are speed and latency issues that I think shouldn’t be a problem at 115200bps.

https://www.eltima.com/usb-over-wifi/

with a raspberry

with 2 old laptops

exploring ESP8266 further

I was able to plug my JPT Fiber Laser into a raspberry PI model 3 (not B+), install the VirtualHere OS on it and run the VirtualHere client on my laptop. My goal was be able to control the laser from my office, but after I got it working I realized it would tie up my office laptop. Now I occasionally use RealVNC to connect to the fiber’s laptop as needed.