Resize fingers and fits for different material thicknesses and bed sizes

I’ve been brewing on this since I saw this topic this morning. While I’m with @jkwilborn that there’s really no parametric way of handling this in Lightburn I think I have a reasonably quick and repeatable way of doing this without what I would consider a full redesign. Let me know if this fits your definition.

I see this as a 3 step solution:

1. modify your current base design to eliminate the fingers entirely. So instead of cuts into the wood for fingers, leave the outer perimeter solid. This is now the scalable and dynamic portion of your design going forward. You can change this to meet your needs.
  2. pre-build a library of cookie cutter template shapes for your most common finger sizes. These are fixed and will not be scaled. The only potential accommodation could be to add more fingers as necessary but that could be mitigated by overbuilding this and only choosing as many as you need.
  3. Pull it together for final design. Scale your base design as necessary, import your finger template of the appropriate size. Stamp your template against the base design by using a Boolean Diff.
  4. Profit.

Here’s a mockup of how this might work.

2 Likes