Roller Rotary on Y axis with Ruida 3axis DSP not changing steps

I have a upgraded hurricane laser at my local Makerspace running a Ruida RDC6432G 3 axis controller. We are tying to use an Ortur YRR 2.0 rotary on the Y axis.

Because the laser has a 3 phase steppers we have added another stepper driver and I am swapping the Ruida outputs to the control from my Y axis driver between the normal one and the one for the rotary.
Open and enable the rotary from the laser menu and configure what we think are the right settings and its rotation doesn’t match what a full rotation should be.

So we played with the micro stepping settings on the driver and also the pulse per rev setting in the rotary screen and have determined that no matter what we set in the pulse per rev field on light burn it doesn’t change the configuration.

If we go in and manually change the configuration for the Y axis (not the rotary setting) we can get it to work. However being a shared space we would like to figure this out so operation and instructions can be as simple as possible for all the users.

I searched around and see where there may be a issue with it using the U axis steps not the Y axis. In the rotary screen I can only choose the Y axis the selection bullets for the others are greyed outz and not an option for me.

Are there any recommendations on troubleshooting steps or means to debug or fix this? I believe this may be a bug in the fact it is not setting the new steps properly for the axis when the rotary is enabled.

Edit: light burn version 1.5.0

Are you sure you have the proper steps/rotation? I’m not clear if you’re using 3 phase or not.

Do you mean you have both 3 phase and 2 phase motor drivers at the same time?

This is the basics for setting steps/rotation… This is digital, so you should not need to fudge these around.

Get steps/rotation setup correctly then we can go deeper …

Sing out if you have issues.

:smile_cat:

Hi @jkwilborn thanks for the quick response I thought I may confuse people with the 3 phase / 2 phase part and almost didnt include it but I did so … The y axis of the laser has a 3 phase motor and the YRR is a 2 phase motor so I couldn’t just swap the motor on the drive output at the connector built into the laser itself. so I have a DPDT switch to move the pulse and dir outputs from the ruida to the correct drive depending on if we are doing flat or rotary engravings.

We have a different drive with less step size options than the picture in the link you referenced but the drive settings all seem to be working when set to 6400, its just off in scale like 20% in the one axis. Which is what I beleive the steps per rotation (rev) in the rotary screen is there to correct. But when we set the steps per rotation in lightburn it doesn’t seem to do anything. I have changed that from 100 to 5000 and the amount of movement doesn’t change for the same programmed distance to move.

I hope I have clarified my problem if not I can come back with some pictures and video.

What did “work” was going to the machine config settings and changing the the step size for the Y axis there based on the movement we were seeing.

fWIW the stepper driver we have connected to the YRR is a DM320T

I guess we have different ideas of what working is… digital equipment that’s off 2mm in 10, I don’t think that qualifies as working.

Even a three phase has steps… Is your 2 phase set to the same number of steps/rotation as the the three phase?

I agree not working properly without correcting the step size in the machine config… but it is working as functioning / turning… if I correct the steps in the machine config it then works as expected and I get a proper engrave on a round surface.

yes three phase has steps I did not pull that drive out to check as I wasn’t using it with the rotary. but it should be different as the motor is different and I thought that was what the setting in the rotary window was for was to correct the steps/rev when enabling the rotary axis.

I guess my basic question/problem is when I change the steps per rotation in the lightburn rotary window shouldn’t that change the response of the rotary? Does that rewrite the ruida config that I can see in the controller itself to confirm what is going on?

looking at a couple pictured I have I think the 3 phase stepper driver is set to 5000 steps. would replacing the 2 phase driver with one with a 5000 step setting work? again I thought that was tied to the motor you were using. and then needed to be compensated in light burn

Your current motor driver should be able to be configured for the same steps/rotation as the 3 phase motor…

If you keep these the same, you will only have to deal with setting up the rotary gui once and then only need to enable it to use it.

Down in the guts of the Ruida is information on how far these move, distance wise… if you change the step rate on one, these number won’t be applicable anymore…

Do you know the ratio between 1 rotation of the motor and one rotation of the driving wheel?

On mine, the steps/rotation are 2000 for the motor. This will rotate the motor one turn. Wheeled rotaries usually have a gearing ratio … my motor turns 2.5 times for each rotation of the drive wheel.

So the gui value is computed by 2000 steps/rotation * 2.5 ratio = 5000 steps/rotation in the gui

If the steps/rotation of your 3 phase is 5000, I’d try that on the 2 phase driver and adjust the steps/rotation for the gear ratio.

Make sense?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.