Rotary attachment Help!

After setting SW4 to off (on my driver that changes it from full idle current too half) and lowering the current from 3.3 amps to 2.8 amps my third-party stepper motors have been running at what I would call lukewarm. I won’t swear to it, but I think that going to half current at idle had the biggest impact. As Jack says, if they’re still burning up (even after lowering the current) then something else is bad wrong, either with the wiring or the type of motors being used. Perhaps you could post a picture of your driver settings and how it’s wired up. I’m going to assume that you are unplugging your “Y” axis cable and plugging in your rotary. As I said, pictures might be helpful.

I dropped my drivers down also. I was suspicious it would have some other effects because of the high acceleration rate I’m using. It’s currently 65,000mm/s^2.

I’ve run a few weeks with no noticeable effects on performance.

I rarely run ‘fast’ so I haven’t tried to do anything at it’s maximum speed of 1650mm/s, to see if it growls or groans at me …

:smile_cat:

Sorry for the delay, I am grateful for all the help.
Will try to get pics posted ASAP.

Here are some pics.

One is the non-functioning rotary motor by itself, the other is a crappy side-by-side of the rotary & Y axis motors.
Both are basically 2 3/16th" cubes (minus the shaft). Identical sizes.

You can somewhat see where the blue QC sticker on the rotary motor has melted.
There are no other stickers to identify electrical rating etc. Manufacturer has been unable to give me current ratings.

Not sure why one can handle the current output settings while the other can’t…

Have you checked the motor drivers and see if this one if different.

My motors were set to over twice their rated current on the driver boards…

The NEMA motor standards specify the type by size of one side. NEMA 17 is 1.7" and the NEMA 23 is 2.3". Here is the rated currents. Need to remove the .txt, it’s a pdf file.

Data-Sheet-Stepper-Motor-Support.pdf.txt (839.0 KB)

I hope I didn’t duplicate anything…

You, sir, are a wealth of knowledge & I cannot thank you enough for sharing.

These are pics of the driver with original factory settings.

Also… Any help on finding another (correct & possibly decent priced and pre-wired) motor to order would be infinitely appreciated!

Based on the info here I would say i need a NEMA23 motor… But there seems to be a lot of options & idk what they mean.

Check the mount pattern for the 17 compared to the 23, so you can mount it. Also need to check out the shaft size of the ‘new’ shaft.

It probably will not come with a pulley and some are pressed on the shaft to help lower cost on these machines…

NEMA is a US standard, you should be able to pick up any NEMA23 and it be the same, whole idea of a standard.

There is two phase and three phase motors, your drivers indicate they are two phase.

This is two phase driver indication from my photo

Screenshot from 2022-08-23 16-41-32

This is the motor…

new-leadshine-42hs02-high-performance-2-phase-493984869

Good luck

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.