Rotary Setting Have No Effect?

I am trying to use a Genmitsu rotary with a (rebranded) Atomstack A5 Pro laser. The rotary works BUT with some really odd issues:

No matter what parameters I put in the Rotary Setup box, they have no effect on the tool. I do have Rotary Enable selected.

PLUS…

If I use the Go To section under the Move tab, and I tell the machine to move to 210mm on the Y axis, it will rotate a 210mm circumference can 201mm. I can tell it to go back and forth between 0 and 210 on the Y axis and it will always go back to the same marks.

BUT…

If I tell the LightBurn to cut a 100mm line around the circumference of the same 210mm can, it cuts a line 213mm.

I can figure out what is going on here! ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Can you post a screen shot of the rotary gui, so we can see your data?

:smile_cat:

Sure can :slight_smile: Already had one captured.

Screenshot from 2022-10-30 18-20-04

Enable Rotary IS enabled. I didn’t have it on when I screencapped that.

I thought mm/rotation was supposed to be 360… where did you get the value you are using?

Well… honestly, in the manual that came with the rotary, it says that “pulses/min” (or similar) is 84, but whether I put 84, 41 or anything else, it makes no difference.

Having said that… just now, I found this on the sainsmart site:

Roller Diameter φ16.0mm
Pulse Parameter Setting 101=200 * MicroStep/(Roller Diameterπ) for the Y axis, or 100=200 * MicroStep/(Roller Diameterπ) if it is plugged into the X axis.

but I have no idea what that means. And the rollers measure 12 on mine.

If you have a roller (wheel) type, then it turns the motor based on that value… The only thing needed is the steps/rotation (mm/rotation), size of the driving wheel and the gear ratio from the motor to the drive wheel…

You don’t need circumference, that’s only used in a chuck type.

You might try it at 360… The key is you want the wheel (roller) to turn one complete turn and back using the ‘test’ button …

OK… so I changed that to 360 and hit Test. It rotates the can a little more than one and a half times and then goes back to the starting point. I then tried changing the roller diameter to the recommended 16 instead of the measured 12 and get the same results.

It should use the new values to and change how far it rotates…

Ensure it’s enabled or it won’t apply the computations…

I was just thinking. You said that it doesn’t need the circumference for rotary type rollers, but that Test would spin the object one complete turn and back… How would it know “one complete turn” if it doesn’t know the circumference?

Yeah… I get the same enabled or not.

Sorry, it should rotate the drive wheel one complete turn and back… sorry about that…

I’d set the wheel diameter to what you measure, at least to try and get this going…

Oh. OK… so… yeah, whether enabled or not, it still does the same thing… it’s rotating about … I’d say ~300mm one way then back when I hit test.

I’m heading to bed, so I’m not going to be much help…

When you change values it should be reflected in the output movement.

I know many people have had the mm/rotation in the 80’s but it seems they always end up with them at 360…

I don’t have one of those machines… sit tight and lets see if @berainlb has a thought on this…

Good night … and good luck…

I appreciate your help. Thank you and good night!

Wish I could have added more…

I don’t know how to get the value of “MicroStep/(Roller Diameter)” to put in your formula…

So… I’m patiently hoping someone might have some insight into this…

OK so…if this helps anybody, I have found the problem… but not the solution. The steps for the rotary I’m using IS 84 mm/min. I can change this in the controller by issuing $101=84 and get the expected results. The problem is that when I enable Enable Rotary, it’s not changing the steps. Any ideas, anyone?

I hope you don’t mind my dragging you back in to this, but I can’t seem to get anyone else to help. I have found the problem… but not the solution. The steps for the rotary I’m using IS 84 mm/min. I can change this in the controller by issuing $101=84 and get the expected results. The problem is that when I enable Enable Rotary, it’s not changing the steps. Would you happen to have any insight into this?

Sorry, just got back from Las Vegas a few hours ago…

Is your machine retaining the rotary settings?

I don’t know your machine, so I’m not sure how to advise…

Maybe @JohnJohn knows about this kind of issue.

What version of Lightburn are you using?

Las Vegas… hope you came away a winner :wink:

When you say retain… do you mean when I issue $101=84 does it retain that while I’m using it and until I change it? Yes. If you mean between power cycling, I haven’t tried that.

My version is 0.9.22