Ruida 6445 firmware update

Ruida has released new firmware for the 6445S and the 6445GT5 to correct issues with the rotary handling. I have it for download on my Google Mod Page under 6445 files. It is V26.01.18

1 Like

What kind of issues have you had?

I have a G, and have had no problems. Got the S firmware for someone else through my Ruida contact. Hoping to get the new GT5 to play with, but that is a wait and see. The black unit with white prints looks hot.

Hello Dave, I recently bought a 60W CO2 laser (less than 2 months ago; via Amazon). It was DOA. It has a 6442 controller that is berzerk. From what Iā€™m finding out a tiny bit at a time is that either Iā€™m stuck with it or I have to fix it myself. My suspicion (?) is 75% that itā€™s just the $20 membrane switch panel, 20% that it is just in the $120 panel (aka console or HMI/display) and perhaps the remaining 5% in the mainboard. But none of that matters because the 2_year warranty looks like its worth TP. Obviously you can tell that Iā€™m both furious and frustrated about this entire issue :rage:. I have NOT decided if I will proceed. I am ā€˜pre-investigatingā€™ my options. Iā€™ve been trying to find out what those options might be. I suppose I could buy another 6442G and then replace everything, even with only/or <5% on the mainboard. At this point even to troubleshoot Iā€™d want more parts. Iā€™m concerned about not just finding the former trouble but possibly damaging or ā€˜brickingā€™ something in any new parts. Thus Iā€™ve been looking into replacing the 6442G with some flavor of 6445, either an ā€˜Sā€™ or a ā€˜Gā€™ or possibly a ā€˜GT5ā€™. If I go this route then I have several questions. [BTW I have tried to get answers from CloudRay, Ruida, Omtech, etc. but if I even get a reply I get contradictory info, thus it makes it hard to believe or to know which is good versus bad info] I have looked at your off_forum files too (hence this message). I saw where you mentioned it was ā€˜little knownā€™ that I could buy direct from Ruida but I donā€™t know how to do that. Iā€™m sure I would have to wait longer and pay more, but that would seem to be a ā€œmore sureā€ way to get the straight scoop.

So, I have a few questions that I hope you might help me with:
1.) what is the difference between a 6445 ā€˜Sā€™ and a ā€˜Gā€™ [I can see the ā€˜Tā€™ for touch screen, anythnig else about the ā€˜GT5ā€™?]

2.) It looks like there have been more firmwares released for the ā€˜Gā€™. Has it just been around longer or were there more issue with it ? And, according to the manuals that Iā€™ve read the ā€˜Sā€™ is for ā€œSuperā€ does that mean it is ā€˜superiorā€™ to anything else (or was that just Ruida doing a tad of marketing :smirk: ) ?

3.) Since I am capable of any sort of DIY, but I donā€™t want to tinker, would I be any better off going all the way to a GT5 ? Isnā€™t it newer and thus better (via Ruida having lessons learned) ? Or is it still ā€˜teethingā€™ ?

4.) Finally, IF I go with any flavor of 6445, will the connectors from this 6442 plug in or fit into the 6445x mainboard ? It kinda looks like they will from the pics.

5.) What did I miss asking? You seem to be the authority on this forum.

Thanks,
Bronco

I donā€™t know about the authority, but I do have a contact within Ruida, so I get to play with things and get updates as necessary.

My understanding between the 2 and the 5 is the number of axis it is designed to handle. The 2 is a two axis controller, where the 5 is a 4 axis controller. S is single head, the G will handle dual head. That is also dual laser tube, NOT dual head on a single tube. There is probably a few other details, but Iā€™m not sure.

You are correct in the GT5 is a touch screen, 5", there is a 7" in the works, hence the 5 designation.

I would guess on the more releases for the G due to multiple heads, but that truly is just a guess. Could just as easily be bug fixes. I know the S and the GT had a rotary bug that they just did an update to correct.

One thing to consider if you want to go from the 2 to the 5, is the larger interface. I went from a POS Top Wisdom, to a Ruida. The 6442 would have dropped in, I had to enlarge the hole and make a support piece on the side of the cabinet for the 10mm control overhang for the 5. I have not looked closely at the GT5 yet, I may get one to play with and review.

One of the other members pointed out something on the touch screen units. There will be no tactile sense of a button push, no sliding your finger across while watching the bed when you hit the pulse button.

Hope that steers you in the right direction, and hope you get your problems resolved. To get a hold of Ruida, I would use the contact tab on their web site. http://www.rd-acs.com/ I do know a lot of their staff is working from home, and responses vary. If you donā€™t hear anything soon, drop me a line and Iā€™ll try and backdoor a response for you.

Also, on the Amazon front. They have a third party guarantee on things sold there. Make sure ANY correspondence between you and the seller goes through the Amazon interface. I lost a tube due to a bad WP flow switch. It showed good but was blocking half the coolant flow. Can anybody say toasted laser tube? Getting Amazon involved got me a new tube in less than two week around the Thanksgiving holiday.

Guys, a month ago I bought RDC6445S controller from Cloudray. When it starts up, it shows FW version V35.01.06. So I just looked on Cloudray website, if they would have a newer version. And I found they provide recent FW version V15.01.22.
Would be anybody able to explain to me, how comes that FW installed in device is newer than recent FW provided on supplierā€™s website? Iā€™d understand if installed FW version would be equal or lower than recent version provided on supplierā€™s website, but that much higher???
I asked Cloudray support for explanation, but talking to those guys is like talking to piece of wood. I told them that I do not understand those firmware versions and their answer was: ā€œDo you mean the firmware versions?ā€ā€¦ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
OMGā€¦ I had a temptation to answer them: ā€œOh no, I just wondering why water is wet!ā€ Jesus, why are those guys that dull?

The G is V15, and my notes say the S is V26, and that info comes from Ruida directly. I do know there are other versions of the 6445 out there, what does the sticker on the controller say, the full model number?

BTW, the last digits are the firmware release version.

Yours is V26? Mine is V35ā€¦
The sticker on the controller says: RDC445082016589
And it was produced in November 2022.

I have a G, but I have firmware for different controllers. I sent an email off to Ruida, but it can take a few days to get a response depending on how busy they are with the new software development. The main difference between the G and the S is dual vs. single head if I remember right, probably some memory differences as well. There might be some new firmware versions to be compatible with the new software. Weā€™ll see what kind of response I get from my guy at Ruida.

Thanks a lot Dave for your interest and actions taken!!! :+1:
I also asked Cloudray why are they selling ā€œSā€ controller and providing firmwares to ā€œGā€ controllers :smiley:
I put this question to Cloudray in Aliexpress Message Center and also directly in central Cloudray e-shop. Since on this page: Cloudray Ruida RDC6445G/S Laser Controller ā€“ Cloudray Laser they are selling ā€œSā€ version

but on the same page in Download section they are providing firmwares, which are obviously dedicated to ā€œGā€ version.

Part of that may be the difference in version releases. The G has had more firmware revisions than the S, and Ruida only puts out update to correct bugs or corrections. The S is a simpler controller, and has not needed the updates the G has. But that still doesnā€™t tell us where the V35 came from. Not saying somebody didnā€™t fat finger a download button at the factory, I know theyā€™ve been in and out of lock down / work from home off and on for quite a while. My guy has been working from home most of the time for quite a while. Hopefully weā€™ll get some kind of response soon. Time difference is a PITA between here and China. Itā€™s tomorrow after noon over there when itā€™s almost midnight here.

Iā€™ve asked Cloudray via Aliexpress Message Center an hour ago and they already responded :slight_smile:
So far they did not explain the difference itself, but they proposed to send me an official (and hopefully recent) version of firmware for ā€œSā€ controller. Itā€™s number is V26.01.19.
So I gave them my e-mail address and I am expecting the FW file.

V26.01.19 FW received. I asked them to put it also to their web pages Cloudray Ruida RDC6445G/S Laser Controller ā€“ Cloudray Laser to section Download. They told me that they will forward this request to supervisor of Cloudray website.

The last one I have for the S is .18. If I donā€™t get a .19 or newer from Ruida, I may have you send me a copy.

Not a problem my friend, just ping me a private message with your e-mail address.

Did you ever get the .19 firmware? Any chance I can get a copy?

Edited for the correct version request

I thought you had V35.01.06? Thatā€™s the latest one out for the new board. Or did you over write it with the V26?

Iā€™m still on V26.01.13

I saw another post where the rotary was selectable via RDworks on V35. Thatā€™s the main reason I havenā€™t messed with this controller yet.

V15 is the G controller. V26 is the original S controller, and V35 is for the new board. I donā€™t know if V35 will or wonā€™t cause problems with the new board. From the way he said it, itā€™s firmware tied to hardware, so I would not try V35 on a V26 board.

You might try going into RDWorks directly and checking the rotary options instead of going through LightBurn.

1 Like