Scan rate can't be increased

I have my scan speeds set to around 300mm/s when testing the galvo when I assembled it yesterday.

I have bumped it up to 1500mm/s and it doesn’t look any faster. The preview is supposed to take 30 some seconds and takes 8 minutes…

I have looked for a limit value for X or Y but there doesn’t seem to be one…

Framing is set to 4000mm/s and I don’t think it’s running that fast either.

Any suggestions on how to speed up the scan…?

:smile_cat:

Hi Jack, just want to say congratulations.

1 Like

Thanks… Had a few bumps… but I think I’m getting them worked out…

I will have to mark this solved as now it appears to be working correctly… Maybe just needed to warm up … lol

So I’ll mark it solved…

Thanks

…not too fast, the journey to the destination is part of it all.
You will probably find all the secrets sooner or later. :wink:

It’s still not up to speed… I have to assume it’s a setting somewhere.

Was probably premature on ‘solving’ this… :frowning:

would you like to show a few pictures of your new machine?, how much did it cost and what will you primarily use the machine for?

It’s a Cloud Ray MP-60 60W JPT M7 MOPA source and the BJJCZ control board.

F460 Theta Lens (300x300 coverage)…, I’ve got two more lenses coming from the China warehouse… an F100 (70x70) and also a F160 (110x110).

From the US location, about $6,700 USD, shipping is free and the tax is covered.

You can get it out of their Chinese location for about $1200 less, but getting it here, customs and taxes are your problem …

Here’s what it arrived in, and opened.

The main unit, and the galvo head/column.

Here’s the backside… forgot about it…

Still haven’t gotten the galvo moving like I think it should, but can’t find anywhere to adjust or set limits for it’s speed.

Have sent a note via the Cloud Ray site asking for some assistance… I have no way to actually check the speed, but Lightburn is pretty close to the time at 300mm/s, but it doesn’t seem to go faster when I try 1500 or 2000mm/s. Even though lightburn shows only a half a minute, it takes 8. It has to be a setting, I’m thinking, as the image is correct…

1 Like

Did some files arrive on a memory stick with your galvo?

I’m not afraid to ask a Linux user to open stuff and poke around. :slight_smile:

If you’re willing to copy/paste the directory or take a screenshot I might spot the settings file we should look at.

When I installed Lightburn I used the EZCad2 markcfg7 file that came on the stick… as far as I know you can’t install EZCad2 on Linux… Edit: changed markcfg1 to markcfg7

What other files should I have? I have the stick copied to my ss drive…

Here is the device settings… I’m currently running. I understand this was populated by the EZCad2 file that I imported on creation of the device.

I changed the scale because the square came out with the wrong dimensions… that corrected that, but it makes me wonder about the rest of the setup… I also changed the min/max frequency to to 40 and 4,000 respectively…

From the JPT manual:

Full Power Frequency Range kHz 40-4000
Adjustable Frequency Range kHz 1-4000

But it’s really slow on the scan rate… At least it appears slow to me and to the times that the preview suggests. At 300mm/s it very close, go up to 1500mm/s, the preview time is 1/5, but it takes the same time to execute as the slower speeds… ?

I hope it’s a configuration issue as if one galvo was bad I’m sure I’d see it in the output…

Anything else ?

It might be nice to figure out how to confirm it really isn’t working… suggestions?

EDIT: I think after running it and taking timings it seems to be working properly, so I will mark this solved. Not really sure I had a problem, but the times were different when I started this… I think/thought.

Thanks to everyone…

Best of luck with the new machine Jack, you deserve to treat yourself for all the hard work you do on this forum. Enjoy it…

Thanks… It’s got me snowed with all the available adjustments…

Used to only have to worry about speed and power… now I get to add frequency and pulse width to the mix … :crazy_face:

One step at the time Jack. And in a week or so you’ll be wondering what was all the stress about. Just a little learning curve for now :thinking:

I have checked the speed with a 15mm filled square. The time of the actual run is equal to what Lightburn preview stated… at least up to 4000mm/s.

However when I burn my ‘cat’, the preview says 34 seconds but after a minute and a half it’s only done 16%…

I don’t know if I’m chasing my tail or what…

Here’s the preview… it shows 34 seconds…

Here’s over a minute into the ‘run’ and it’s only 21% done…

It must be something I’m doing…

cat-laser-sm.lbrn2 (1.4 MB)

Starting to wonder if it’s cat dander … ?

Are you sure you used the markcfg1 file? Typically it’s named markcfg7 - but its not out of the question. The negative laser ON TC is odd to me.

That was my error, it was 7 that I used and not 1.

I’ve re-run the cat and even if I disable passthrough and use stucki, it still takes a long time, compared to what the preview states…

It has to be operator error… can’t think of what else it could be…