Sculpfun S10 Does not connect with lightburn anymore

Lightburn keeps givving me this error when trying to connect:

Waiting for connection…

ets Jun 8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0x10 (RTCWDT_RTC_RESET),boot:0x1b (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)

flash read err, 1000

ets_main.c 371

flash read err, 1000

ets_main.c 371

flash read err, 1000

ets_main.c 371

This isn’t a connection error. This looks like either:

1. your controller is failing
  2. the flash memory on your controller is failing
  3. corrupted firmware - may be remedied by reflashing firmware
  4. if firmware is stored on an sd card or similar, try reseating the memory module. I’m not familiar with the controller on the S10

The S10 Controller is a Standard GRBL.
So, what do i do now?
Buy a new controller?

GRBL refers to the specific software that runs on the controller but each controller hardware setup could have variation.

Try to confirm the diagnosis.

First, do you have removable media that the controller reads from? If so, try reseating it or reflashing the media.

If you do not, then try reflashing the firrmware on the controller itself.

At that point, unless you’re familiar with board repair, then yes, likely will need to replace the controller.

Unfortunately, there might be an issue with the S10 controller boards. I heard loads of reports of non-connecting board during the last days.
The S10 has NO standard grbl firmware, it uses an ESP32 controller and a port of grbl to that controller. Unfortunately, neither this firmware nor the source code is not officially available yet.
I have a slightly newer version of the firmware here, we might try to flash that?

@Melvin, are you seeing reports with this same type of error message? Curious if there’s a bug in the code that’s corruping the memory or perhaps there’s a batch of bad chips somewhere.

No, it’s the first time with these errors. Most users just can’t connect at all. At least that’s what I can tell right now. I just returned from short holidays and need to sort out all the reports. Maybe tonight I have more details.
So far, I found out that homing the laser also crashes the controller, but it reboots and is ready afterwards. But reproducible and the error message suggests some bad coding (access to non-existing memory area).

Yes, i already did that, so that means my board is fried. :sweat_smile:
Thanks a lot for your help my friend.

yes, i also read that somewhere, thats my puinishment for buying this chinese junk i geuss. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yes, i already did that, so that means my board is fried

What did you do already? Your board doesn’t need to be fried, as long as you can connect / see messages, it is still working. Reflashing the firmware should be possible.

1 Like

interesting, i just installed home switches on the controller…

okay, so how do i do that? because i have tried what lies whithin my knowledge.
i already rebooted my pc several times, but if you could explain how i flash my grbl drive that would be nice.

Could you post a screenshot of the full console view after you connected to the laser? That would be interesting. The flashing process is not that difficult, the biggest hurdle is that the tutorial is partly in Chineese and you need google image translate to understand it :slight_smile:

Where can i find that tutorial?

I sent you a PM. If that works out for you, I will make this publicly available.

2 Likes

Okay, thank you so much already. I will let you know if this works out. :+1:t2:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.