SCULPFUN S30 PRO issues with homing and strange sound at the edges

Hi everyone, i just bought and installed a Sculpfun S30 Pro 10 w diode laser, but i’m having some problems with the machine.
I use Lightburn 1.3.1 but everytime the machine touches the corners at x400 y400 or x0 and y0 coordinates It makes a sound like crawling, at the the end-stop at x0 and y0, the machine also freezes saying “G code blocked during alarm or jog state.On or near line 0:” I need to completely shut off the machine and lightburn and move the diod away from the endstops because it stays pressed if i don’t do anything.

Do i missing some configuration? like the end point? i’m worried i’ve assembled the machine wrong… (attached a video with sound and a pic )

the printer has only two end stops, one on the linear rail and one at the 0 point of the y axys and when i try to home i have this error
Hard limit activated. Machine position is likely to be lost due to sudden and immediate shutdown. Re-homing is highly recommended.
<Alarm|MPos:-124.938,-11.938,0.000|FS:0,0>

Check your cable wiring. You likely either have swapped X vs Y cables at the controller or you’ve inserted them backwards.

I was searching in the forum and I found that I have the exact same problem as this user here

But I didn’t understand how to fix it.

I also checked the wiring and they seems ok, but now it doesn’t home anymore as the end stops stays pushed.

I understood that the available area should be set smaller due to the laser module itself and the position of the end stops that protrude a little bit, but I don’t know how.

Thanks for the help !

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but isn’t the laser homing to the wrong corner of the machine? Your homing switches look like they’re positioned for homing to front-left. Your machine was moving back-right where there are no switches.

This is why I suspect your wiring is backwards or swapped.

Have you changed any GRBL configuration settings? If not, this is the most likely reason. If you have changed something what exactly did you change?

One other test you could try:

1. disable auto-home on startup in Device Settings
  2. restart laser
  3. test jogging controls. Does your machine jog in the expected direction? Left goes left, right goes right, etc?

The workspace of the S30 Pro is NOT 400x410! It’s 380×385. Make sure to set it in the firmware as well as in LightBurn. Otherwise, you will hit the frame if you send it further.

thanks for the help you are giving me @berainlb
No the printer was moving there on purpose (move command to 400 400 )
Yes the machine move as intended, left right ecc.
Now i disabled the auto-home and changed the working area to 380x385
@misken but how to set in the firmware? anyway if i tell the machine to go to the 380x385 point it starts to do the same problem as it want to go further

This may be because you disabled homing. You can change laser dimensions in Edit->Machine Settings. $130 should be set to 380 and $131 should be set to 385 if those are indeed the correct dimensions.

After changing, rehome and then retest going to 380,385.

1 Like

I’m curious if this is set incorrectly from the factory. I have a S30 at my shop, I’ll have to take a look

this seems to work! right?

In the second video going to the top-right, did the laser hit the back?

If so, you may need to further reduce the Y dimension. Or, it’s possible that your calibration for your axes are incorrect. Try burning a 100x100mm square then measure the size. Are the dimensions correct?

If so, then further decrease Y. If not, then you’ll need to calibrate the axes to get them correct.

Looks right. Great!
Another hint: the air assist hose that is supplied with the kit tends to kink strongly. Put it a short time into hot water, which makes most kinks go away. If it is kinked as in your videos above, it doesn’t work reliably.

Yes, it is. They even advertised the work area of 400x410 for the Pro Max, where it is even less. But they corrected this in recent posts at Facebook, but the firmware still contains the old value.

Are there different module options that would affect available space but the firmware is only configured for the smallest module?

Not even that. The 400x410 can only be reached without using limit switches (and then it’s even borderline, I think). But all S30 models include switches. Also the smallest module versoin. They are mounted such that you lose nearly two centimeters on each axis. Since all have the same mainboard, they all have the same firmware version with the same wrong generic setting.
I created this table (some values are provided by Sculpfun directly, they measured them after I asked for it):

1 Like

What a major failure of quality control. I’m wondering if the limit switches were a late addition since previous models didn’t have them. And then they never bothered to account for that in the settings.

I can see this being a major pain for them and LightBurn for a while.

1 Like

I’ll check this tomorrow ! here it’s quite late :innocent:

thanks again for the help! @misken @berainlb this forum is amazing thanks to people like you!

What is this “quality control” of which you speak?

:man_shrugging:

Which is why I suspect bogus acceleration and speed values straight from the factory when folks report their new-ish machines stall / skip / lose steps. You’d have to keep track of all possible machines / failures / solutions to be sure, but IMO nearly all diode lasers arrive loaded with the most optimistic possible values achieved once under ideal test bench conditions on a hardware configuration similar to the one in hand.

Hi! i burned a 100x100 square,and the dimensions are really accurate

In that case if you’re still hitting the back of the laser I suggest you shorten by a few more millimeters. Just experiment with it until it stops hitting since you don’t want to lose any more space than you need to.

1 Like