Smoothieware on omtech k40, lightburn not controlling laser power

Yes the sd card was pre installed and no I didn’t make any config changes.

I’m going to assume for the moment that the basic configuration is at least a working configuration.

Are you able to provide the other information asked for?

Also, I’d like to go back to the original problem indicated. How did you determine that laser power is not being controlled?

Photos and screenshots would be useful here.

Here are photos of the board and wiring.

And here is a stock photo of the board.

I just wired from there old board to the new board based on labels between the two and then went through the set up process on lightburn once the board was recognized.

So to clarify, you’re saying you took the connections from the old board and moved them to matching connections based on label on the new board? Did you validate or are you aware of the specific pin assignments for each connection?

Also, you missed the question earlier. How did you arrive at the conclusion that power is not being controlled? What are you reacting to? Can you share those details?

Welllllll.
This might have been user error on my end as it seems to controlling the power.
If this is the case how should I have the power set on the laser itself? Right now it is at 30% on the control board.

The darkest burn in the photo was at 80% as seen in the photo and the lightest is at 5%.

How are you doing this? Is this a potentiometer? If so, this will limit the top-end current made available to the tube. Think of this as a limiter. It limits what Max power looks like.

So 100% in LightBurn is translated to the Max power as defined by the potentiometer. All lower powers are a percentage of that max.

That’s exactly what I needed to know. That’s awesome…
So right now I had that set to 80% in lightburn and 30% on the machine it’s self. So that means it was actually 80% of 30%?

That adjustment should be set once and left alone. Use lightburn to control the lps via the controller. If you change that adjustment it will throw off all of your known power settings.

This might help…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

This is excellent. It is making far more sense now.
Thank you SO much.

No perspiration…

Take care

How did you make it work im in the same situation i cant change the power from lightburn

How do you have the controller wired to the lps?

Generally the L and IN inputs of the lps…

Do you have a pot or manual power control?

I have a Manual control power LED indicator i have connected the same way it came from the factory

If so, then it must have something to do with the pwm control going to the L input of the lps.

It it firing all the time or at specific times or not at all?

Do you have a voltmeter to test that signal?

Do you have a mA meter, if so what does it read when it does fire?

Maybe @lightburn can move this to a seperate thread… This should have been marked solved and a new one created…

Here is a photo my problem is when I put different power from lightburn Example 2 layers #1 power 20% #2 Power 50 The only power that read by the machine is frond the Manually panel not from lightburn i need to Control the power from lightburn, I’m using smothieware board

Did you change the configuration of the pwm port or ?

I’m not that familure with smoothie and it’s configuration, we know they work.

The ‘power’ or pwm on these are feed into the L input (usually). You need some way to check that voltage. Do you?

I will try that but if any body has a video or something to share because im starting in this lasercut life

Do you have a meter?

If so, identify the L terminal of the lps. Can’t see it in the photo…

If you can measure the voltage it should change from say, 20% to 80%. So run it at 20% then run another at 80%. I think that’s inverted, so at 80% you might read 80% of 5v… It should change.

No need for the laser to be enabled. So leave it’s power off, if possible.

Just installed the upgraded board to my machine and after installing the software and added the machine all i get is either machine is busy or alarm lock? has anyone else had this problem?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.