Snapmaker not using the whole bed / Lightburn not working for the whole bed

Ok - newbie here …

I have my Snapmaker connected but I’m having a couple issues. I have the bed size set to 320 by 350 with the origin being the front left corner. The problem is that no matter what I do, when running the frame it will not use the whole bed - a strip of approximately 35mm at the top of the bed is just “dead space”

That is what I was trying to cut.
And this is what happened…

When I went in and removed the top row of ornaments (upside down row) then it cut properly.

You might try ‘absolute coordinates’ in stead of ‘current’ or ‘user’ for the ‘start from’ position.

:smile_cat:

If I use absolute coordinates it has the start position off the front of the bed :confused:

Off hand, I’d say you have a configuration issue…

Absolute coordinates should map the laser directly to your artwork in the work area.

Device set up

I have followed the steps that were listed for configuring the program to my machine.
I would love to be able to use my whole bed, as the snapmaker bed isn’t huge in the first place. Right now with not being able access the whole bed - I can’t even complete customer orders in the sizes they are wanting. Which leaves me at looking for a larger machine, which I didn’t want to do until my sales “paid off” this machine.

Is there anyway I can get ahold of the people who made Lightburn directly?

This means it’s not configured correctly…

Can you tell us what the $131, $132 and $20, $21 and $22…

130’s numbers are what the controller thinks is the bed size… the 20’s are related to homing.

You can get these from the ‘console’ by entering $$

Probably… maybe @JohnJohn can help you get that specific machine to work for you…

Don’t forget this is the weekend…

When I try that command this is what it says “$$
echo:Unknown command: “$$”
ok”

Sorry… most grbl machines will allow you to query these values…

Maybe @JohnJohn can give you more specific guidance for your machine…

Hang in there :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Snapmaker2 is built around the Marlin 2.0 codebase.
Some of the GRBL features, such as $$ weren’t included.

The configuration and settings appear to be baked-in when it’s compiled.

If the Snapmaker has a configured workspace that is smaller than the bed, it’s likely that It can’t reach the edges with either the spindle, the laser or the print head. Often the bed is larger than the allowable workspace to allow for workpiece clamping.

I hate to say it, but it’s possible with most software to tell the engraver that is has more workspace than it does. This creates errors and lost motion when the engraver runs into the physical limits.

I don’t have a Snapmaker 2 on hand. I’ll attempt to see if there’s a spec in the manual as to the workspace size.

Edit: The website says
Laser Engraving and Cutting
Work Area (W × D):
320 × 350 mm

I’m not finding the reason for the dead-space.

@JohnJohn I’m assuming that because when I tell it to go to the absolute coordinates that is goes off the front left corner of the bed, would be making it not reach the back of the bed. I have to use X5 Y22 to get it to line up where X0 Y0 should be