So now that I got Z working, it was time to experiment with intentional unfocused work: Speed Shading!

Lowering the laser .75 inches out from focus, I apply only 100 lines per inch resolution. This being only a test, I ran the scanning at 25 inches / sec (635 mm / sec) at 95% power (roughly about 125 watts). The square is 3 inches by 3 inches. This was really interesting. With some further testing I can really perfect this and create cool effects as well as substantially speed up shading with very predictable accuracy.

1 Like

I made another example. After a little bit of trial and error, I am already finding how to use this to significantly decrease the time required to engrave. As long as fine detail is not required, this is a good trick. Example:

This other video helps explain / illustrate how each additional 1/4” movement of Z out of focus creates an “air brush” effect from the laser. It’s pretty amazing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.