Starting the Light burn camera

Been There, Done that, go back to the beginning of this thread read down I think about 20 places and you’ll see how to fix it. I started this post, jump over the trial version comments. Its a windows thing the first guy to post to me eventually worked it out in windows, something about letting windows choose which version it uses. but it worked for him and me. I think it went back to version 8

I drew a square and when I changed the “Start From” to “User Origin”, the file ran as expected. When I changed the “Start From” back to “Absolute Coords”, the file didn’t run but just beeped. I also changed the “Start From” to “Current Position” and the file ran correctly. Since the Calibrate Camera Alignment uses Absolute Coords, that might be the issue.

It unfortunately has to be Absolute Coords, or there’s no way to know for certain where the output went. Can you run a file in Absolute Coords mode from RDWorks? If so, draw a square in RD, save the UFile and email it to me. Do the same in LightBurn. It will help me if you place them in the middle of the page and make them the same size. I don’t understand why that wouldn’t work.

I drew a square and tried to run it in RDWorks but the same issue occurred; the program would not run with Absolute Coordinate, but it did run with Current Position and Anchor Point.

I don’t understand why it’s happening, but that’s certainly why the camera wizard won’t behave.

A couple possible ideas:

• Is your controller showing X:10000, Y:10000 for coordinates? If so, that means it isn’t homed / zero’d, and absolute coordinates won’t work.

• Check this: On your controller, press the Z/U button, cursor down to ‘Origin Set’, pres enter, and see if “Multi Origin Enable” is set.

Under Move, Get Position, the Lightburn software does show the current position to be X:10000, Y:10000
How would I zero that out or get it re-homed?

I checked the “Origin Set” on the controller and “Multi Origin Enable” is not set.

Well, that would be the problem.

Your controller doesn’t home itself when you power up? You can hit the ‘Home’ button in LightBurn to do it. That resets the controller, so you’d need to right-click the Devices button when it’s done.

You will need a properly homed controller to use the camera because it needs to be able to place the job using absolute, repeatable coordinates. Without any frame of reference, there’s no way for the system to work.

When I power up, the laser head moves the corner rail so I have to hit the Escape button to stop the head from moving there. When I hit the Home button in Lightburn, the laser head moves to the rail just as it does on power up.

That’s looking for the limit switches up there, so it can figure out where the home position is. That’s by design. If it gets up there and grinds, you have either a misaligned or failed limit switch, a wiring issue, settings issue in the controller, or something like that. You won’t be able to use the camera until that’s fixed.

Okay, thanks. I’ll see if I can locate the problem.

FYI, I checked the limit switches this morning. Both the X axis & Y axis switches were operating properly but the Y axis limit switch had shifted upward just enough that it was not making contact with the upper bracing of the laser machine so it in effect wasn’t being closed. After adjusting the Y axis limit switch, everything seems to be working fine and I can now burn the Camera Alignment Target and finish the process.

2 Likes

I am installing a 95 degree camera and have the above issue but with Win 8.1 pro. It shows that it is working correctly in Device Manager but when I try to access it in Lightburn it crashes the program.

• Which version of LightBurn?
  • Does the camera work in the Windows Camera app (or other apps)?
  • Does it crash just from selecting the camera, or is there something else that makes it crash?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.