Still stuck after adding limit switches

Hello everyone,

I just followed the updated guide on adding limit switches to the TwoTrees GRBL laser.
But it’s spitting out a few error since i have been tinkering with it before. (2 pin wires instead of the 3 pin wires it actually needed)

When the laser boots, it asks me to unlock it via this menu:

Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

[MSG:‘$H’|‘$X’ to unlock]

[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

When i do $H (i think it means Home and X just unlock)
You do hear the steppers turn on and lock into place. While it’s happening you aren’t able to move the gantry, but neither does the laser head move.

After it’s been thinking it has tried to home it spews out the error:

ALARM 9: Homing Failed, Could not find limit switch within range.

This is my $$

$0=10
$1=25
$2=1
$3=2
$4=0
$5=0
$6=0
$10=0
$11=0.010
$12=0.002
$13=0
$20=0
$21=0
$22=1
$23=2
$24=100.000
$25=8000.000
$26=250
$27=10.000
$30=1000
$31=0
$32=1
$100=80.000
$101=80.734
$102=250.000
$110=10000.000
$111=10000.000
$112=1200.000
$120=1000.000
$121=1500.000
$122=10.000
$130=350.000
$131=350.000
$132=200.000

A push in the right direction is highly appreciated
Also, when i turn the laser on, it gives a pulse of the laser. Is there anything to prevent this?

A link is always nice, so we can ‘follow’ and see how you did this…

It’s a good idea to re-read these and try and make them more clear for us…

It sounds like it requires a three wire connection and you only used two of the three and it doesn’t work…?

I’m hoping I know what you mean …

What type of switches are you using, NO | NC?

How are they wired.?

If you start the machine, does the head/carriage move towards the limit switches?

At one place you say no, but I’m not sure on the boot.

If they don’t move you need to check the type of switches and their connections to the controller.

From the little information, I’d say the machine is detecting the limits as active (when they are not) and can’t ‘back off’ them within the specified distance. Using a NC switch when it’s expecting a NO…?

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Sorry to be unclear, wrote it late at night.

I used the video from the official LB Youtube channel. The switches are 3 pin, but came with 2 pin cables.
There is a point in the video where he clicks home, but that’s where my laser does nothing.

I now have the required 3 pin cable. when i push the pin it lights up a LED so you see if it’s triggered.

It does not home at startup.

These are the switches i used Simax3d 4pcs 3d Printer Part Endstop Mechanical Limit Switches With Cable Endstop Press Switch Module For Ender 3 Pro Hotend Kit - 3d Printer Parts & Accessories - AliExpress

10 is large for a back off, that’s almost 1/2 inch. Shouldn’t hurt anything… at some point you’ll tire of waiting for it.

From what I can see and assume, S is the signal wire to the motherboard. The G pin is grounded and the V pin is supply voltage (probably 5v).

I need to know how they are wired to the motherboard…

Does it give you an error when it attempts to home on a power up? How about a home command from Lightburn.?

Hall-effect switches require 3-wire hookups, but his link is to mechanical switches. Those are only 2-wire.

Nevertheless it’s set up for no or nc operation, and I wanted to know which he had chosen. It just pulls it up or down. Nothing to do with hall effect… it’s just a mechanical switch.

If you wish to pull it down use the G, if up use V.

Jack, I know this is off topic, but please understand I am not trying to challenge you. Like you, I am just trying to help someone reach a solution. I have seen your replies MANY times and consider you to be an SME (Subject Matter Expert).

Challenge …? None taken…

I just chose to look at it as Signal, Ground and Voltage. It matters not if you pull it to ground with a metal sliver or via a mosfet, it gets pulled to ground and the controller reads it as active.

Use the V pin if you want to pull it high…

The basic configuration is to pull it low, so the Signal wire goes to the controller and the side that ‘makes’ on contact (NO) goes to ground. It might be labeled V, but it’s just a switch.

The switch is labeled C, NO, NC. A NO switch makes contact when it’s activated so C (Signal) would be connected to the NO contact. With the V contact to NC, then Voltage would be applied to the C (Signal) until it was activated.

The appear to line up C → S, NO → G and NC → V

I don’t trust the Chinese, so I’d check them with an ohm meter.

The leds just confuse things as a general rule. They stick them on everything.

What made you think hall effect?

In a posting somewhere else, they mentioned they had obtained a 3-wire switch, and it was Hall-effect. I am electronics by trade (among many other ones), so I tend to see things from that perspective.

My first limits on a cnc were optical, it required a power source, so it had three wires. I was finishing up a pcb and one of the drills threw debris through the optical sensor and trashed the part.

I switched to hall effect sensors and they are great. They are also on my China Blue machine as homing switches. They are only used for homing.

I was also a service tech for CNC machines and optical limits there were a disaster. Cutting fluid and chips and oh my! My machine is a Sainsmart 3018 Pro with the Y-axis extension (now a 3040). The laser is 5.5 Watts output, and I believe it… I am VERY new to LB and am loving this forum.

Have you put limit switches on yours?

I have them on two of my three little cnc types. The one that came with them are mechanical. The ones on mine are hall effect. It’s limited at all ends one sensor for the Z does both upper and lower and two each for the other axes.

Z axes

and one of the Y axes.

1 Like

Yes, added 6 sub-micro switches. Glad I did too. Can’t find the pix I know I took.

The switches are labeled SGV

S=Red
G=Black
V=White

On the motherboard it’s the same way.

When the switch is not pressed the outputs are:
S+G=X
G+V=X
V+S=X

With the switch pressed:
S+G=Y
G+V=X
V+S=X

Tested for continuity, X is no connection, Y is a flow.

On startup it gives me this:

Startup

Waiting for connection…
Waiting for connection…
Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]
error:9
G-code locked out during alarm or jog state.
ok
Homing
[VER:1.1f.20170801:]
[OPT:V,15,128]
Target buffer size found
ok
ALARM:9
Homing fail. Could not find limit switch within search distance. Defined as 1.5 * max_travel on search and 5 * pulloff on locate phases.
ok
Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]
ok

It refuses to move when homing, If you type $H it enables the steppers (so you can’t move them by hand) But it refuses to move by itself.

From the pictures I’d figure this configuration.

spdt

The S or Common is used an output from the switch to the controller. On the right for NC is the V and NO is G. My guess, is G is ground and V is supply voltage.

The C/NO/NC are written on the limit switch.

S is the C(ommon) and continuity should be present between it and G or V when:

Not pressed should show continuity to V

Pressed should show continuity to G

G & V should never have continuity.

Something is amiss with the measurements or?

It doesn’t look like you have much choice on how it’s wired, everything seems to match up.

What is being displayed in the console in Lightburn. Can you cut and paste from boot through the attempt to home.?

I homing enabled in the Machine settings.?

In the post above here i made the menu which you can open to see what it does at startup. Homing is enabled as you can see in my first post.

I think the V is just to light up the LED if it’s pressed.
But to me it seems that both give a S signal to the motherboard when it is pressed, which is what it should do.

Actually I only used 5. The Z axes, as you can see in the photo is detected by a single hall effect switch.

I’m not sure I understand the number format. What is the value of ‘homing pull-off’?

Screenshot from 2022-07-22 09-36-48

Here is my factory settings for a homing CNC3018. 10mm seems large…

Is ‘auto home on startup’ enabled in Lightburn device settings?

I’d suggest using the gui interface over the console, unless it’s specific. If you want it to home, click the ‘home’ button in Lightburn.

Homing pull off is the distance it goes back after hitting the home switch. 10mm is a bit large but i left it at default for now.

If i click HOME int he GUI it gives me this error:
ALARM:9

Homing fail. Could not find limit switch within search distance. Defined as 1.5 * max_travel on search and 5 * pulloff on locate phases.

It does not move when i click it.

Sounds like it not finding the limit switches. Are you sure they are connected right ?

I I don’t power up the motors I get that same error.

Does it go past the limit? Maybe more detailed description of the actual homing.

Sorry, I’m heading off to be for a few hours…