The Rock on Ceramic Tile

Isn’t that tile painted black not white?

Nope. Painted white. White tile, white paint. Magic, ain’t it?

Doesn’t that waste a lot of engraving time?

That quality can only come from a diode laser that is able to fire @0.75 watts

So time is all you got . No microwave speed for this tile artwork. Kind of like instant chocolate pudding vs. real chocolate pudding made from scratch .

One takes longer but boy can you taste the difference. In @Bulldog artwork you can see the difference.

Cheers

Sasquatch

I developed a process to paint ceramic with Flat White paint,then laser…the paint reactes with tile and burns the tile black…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk2A9F8Vunw&feature=emb_logo&fbclid=IwAR0D5uOC4zxyKuKFlvL5PMafNOJe7OlJUDzrkD3t6HICy10809NxvwOMgDk

2 Likes

Its a diode,very slow…1-2 hour per tile ,but it is totally scratch resistant

I have been looking at doing something like this. What type of paint are you using?

Read this post

Cheers

Sasquatch

3 Likes

I just did my first test burns. All I can say is WOW! It works surprisingly well. Now to dial in my speed and power settings. Great fun!

1 Like

@Blake most of my prep now I do with LightBurn under shape properties …I use paintShop to first resize

@Bulldog

Here is business opportunity for your art during this quarantine. Came across this stuff which is inferior to yours

Cheers

Sasquatch

Thanks…Plus all the copy right laws…My laser has been mothballed for a while while I deal with some issues at hand…take care…thanks for all your kind words…

God Bless you @Bulldog. Be well and stay safe.

Sasquatch

1 Like

I just picked up a box of 100 4.25X4.25 white tiles from Home Depot here. It was just under $16 for the box.

I also picked up some flat black paint and tried that. It just burns the paint away leaving the white tile where you lasered. That opens up another dimension of playing around.

This is using flat black with just enough power to burn off black…then clear coated

Those look great! What do you use for your clear coat? I tried using a spray lacquer and that was a fail. It reacted with black paint. Do you clean these with anything before you clear coat? I used a little water and that didn’t seem to do anything. Maybe there isn’t anything more than a quick wipe needed.

@Arthur…wipe down gently with Methyl Hydrate …micro fibre …then use water base clear coat

2 Likes

Quick note for people with the Ortur Master2. It has a huge problem engraving on white surfaces. I tried your method and I got no results. However, when I switched to black paint (and inverted the image), it worked beautifully. So, I guess it depends on which diode laser you have.

Otherwise, great method, and thanks so much for the info. I will be trying some canvasses and tiles with this method and I’ll share my results when I’m done!

Random question. I heard diode laser has a life span, is this true? If yes, can anyone say how do you charge for your laser work and time? I am new to this and need your advise, much much apricate it :slight_smile: