Totally stuck after a long break away from laser

Hi Berainlb,
Thanks again for coming back to me…

I have end stops on the X & Y, Not on the Zaxis … I am partially disabled and have not been able to add the Z-axis switches. I thought I could switch them out somehow.

As for the inverted/reversed text. It seems to have sorted itself out. No idea how it happened.

I changed $132 to 50, but it still insists on showing (Get Position) Z:75.00
Also when I switch off then back on, Z always tries to get to 75.

Device settings are as you show.
Going to read the suggested article. Thanks

I recall from a previous topic that GRBL by default will always try to home all 3 axes if they are available, even if the Z is not “enabled” in LightBurn. This can only be changed by recompiling. Not sure how Sainsmart configured this for their firmware.

You may want to disable homing until you can add the Z-axis switch.

I suspect the problem is that without proper homing it’s unclear where the origin is.

Are you able to set a user origin in the Move panel?

Have you disabled “Auto-home on startup” in device settings?

Hi
I have a cnc 3018. as well. to answer your question. remember all CNC is connect to a com port. your software came with a software you can install to create a virtual com port as well as a rip software for the Gcode which call candle. you can use laser GbL as rip software remember ligthburn safe all Gcode as gc. check out go to start, control panel click on hardware and security will open a new widow click on system and click device manger this is where you cam see what your com port. all com port start with com1 as and example. or you can download the from google. now you can use lightburn with you cnc 3018. I hope this help good luck

Sorry guys (n gals)
I’m still struggling.
Can I start from something which is probably got you all laughing at me haha?
Currently, my table is at the end stop furthest away (Y) from me and the X is at the end stop to my left. Is this the correct position? Z is disabled and focus’d correctly.
I just don’t seem to be able to get the workspace set up. What am I doing wrong (or not doing)?
I will start there, then move on.
I’m suspicious of the controller and have ordered another one.
Regards
Kevin

Hi,
All the Axis are working correctly now. -X to the left and +X to the right. -Y towards me and +Y away from me. -Z is downwards and +Z is upwards. (However I don’t need Z so it’s disabled).
All end stops are functional in setting the alarm off. However I’m still finding they want to continue after the alarm is cleared and don’t back-up the 2mm which is what it’s set to.
Get position seems to give me different figures every time even after switching off etc.
Auto-Home is disabled as is the Z axis.
Has to be the setting of the workspace, me thinks
Regards
Kevin

I’m not following what specifically the problem is at this point. Sounds like motion is now correct. What exactly is not working at this point?

I assume this is a good thing and how you expect it to behave. Can you confirm that the head stops when the stops are reached?

What do you mean by “back-up the 2mm”?

I don’t think you can expect specific position to survive a restart since the machine is not aware of the current position when the machine is turned on. That’s usually the purpose of homing. To reset to a known position and define 0,0.
I’m not super familiar with the behavior on a machine without homing but i suspect you need to move the laser head manually to its expected start position and set the origin there. Subsequent operations will be based from that origin.

Can you confirm that the working size in Device Settings matches your machine?

Alternatively, could you add a limit stop to the Z-axis as well so that you can do a homing operation?

Thanks for reply.
I set up and ensure that all end stops are at least 5mm away from tripping (Alarming).
Closedown LightBurn.
Restart LightBurn.

On restarting I get the following. Iv’e put number so as to be able to ref if necessary.

1. Waiting for connection…

2. Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

3. [MSG:Check Limits]

4. [MSG:‘$H’|‘$X’ to unlock]

5. error:9

6. G-code locked out during alarm or jog state.

7. [MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

8. ok

9. [VER:1.1f.20170801:]

10. [OPT:V,15,128]

11. Target buffer size found

12. ok

I send $$
$$

$0=10

$1=25

$2=0

$3=0

$4=0

$5=1

$6=0

$10=1

$11=0.010

$12=0.002

$13=0

$20=0

$21=1

$22=1

$23=4

$24=25.000

$25=500.000

$26=250

$27=2.000

$30=1000

$31=0

$32=1

$100=800.000

$101=800.000

$102=800.000

$110=1000.000

$111=1000.000

$112=600.000

$120=30.000

$121=30.000

$122=30.000

$130=300.000

$131=180.000

$132=48.000

ok

I enter test in the bottom left corner of the screen ‘Test’. As I type the cursor stays put and the text moves to the left.
If I then print it. It starts then the following…
<Idle|MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|FS:0,0|Pn:XYZ|WCO:-3.615,41.584,-0.800>

ok

Starting stream

Layer C00

Layer C00

ALARM:1

Hard limit triggered. Machine position is likely lost due to sudden and immediate halt. Re-homing is highly recommended.

On or near line 21:

Job halted

Stream completed in 0:02

[MSG:Reset to continue]

ok

Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

[MSG:Check Limits]

[MSG:‘$H’|‘$X’ to unlock]

[MSG:Caution: Unlocked]

ok

The Y-axis has tried to move away from me, but it’s at its limit. Earlier in the day, I was getting an error saying I was going to go negative was that ok? I said yes and got similar results to the above.

What do you mean by “back-up the 2mm”?
Should have read back-off (or pull off) 2mm $27

Any help with that info?
Regards
Kevin

Inversion issues are usually tied to Device Setting origin issues.

How is yours currently configured? I believe this should be lower-left for your system.

I found a few topics that seem to address many of the specific challenges you’re seeing with your machine. Check this out. This links to other very relevant topics:
Setting the machine origin - Getting Started - LightBurn Software Forum

Yes, thanks.

Were you able to successfully go through the 3018 topic from Oz? If so, can you provide an update on insights and any updates from that?

If you haven’t already done so, I’d suggest you take a backup of your machine configuration before making any changes.

I noticed that a number of your configurations from your earlier post were different than what Oz has suggested.

Did you try continuing the cut after ther out of bounds message? If so, how did it go?

Hi Berainlb
Yes, read a load more as well. I get something working, but there is always something else wrong.
See the screenshot below… What did it print… from its current location it printed mirrored. and moved the workbench away

I thought I had it all correct.
Here are the device settings.

I should receive a new controller shortly, I’ll put that in place this evening and see what difference it makes.
For now,
Thanks again, sorry this is causing so much of your time.
Regards
Kevin

HI All
Wonder if anyone out there could send me a file of the $$ settings , don’t mind if I get a few it will help my mind get around my problem?
Please
Thanks
Kevin

It’s great that you’re making progress. One hurdle at a time.

I’m curious still about the inverted burning. Did you flip something in the GRBL configuration at some point?

The other thing to try is possibly start with the laser head at the lower left before turning on the laser. I read that your laser might pick the current position as 0,0 but uncertain.

Did you use the g-code command listed in the other topic to shift your origin?

HI
After a bit more hair pulling I have managed to get the new controller installed. Only problem I had was lanrge hands and small fittings/connections.
A very quick look at the setting and changed basically to those that I had on the FAULTY controller.
I have manage to successfully laser some stuff.
I knew I was not completely stupid and that I had most things right.
Thanks for your support in helping me sort this out. I’m handing the controller over ot a relateion who’'s into electronics to check out the board. I’ll hopefully remember to put a follow up on here with anything he finds.
Maybe I can at last start making some stocking fillers.
Regards
& thanks again for contributions
Kevin

Awesome! Great work and determination getting to this point. :clap:

Well a day of playing happily, phew. Thanks all, still have one or two niggles, but at least it is working.
Is there a way to re-blank a slate blank to plain old slate again?
I tried a three-tone logo (image) on a slate coaster and it ended up as all the same coloured image.
OK thanks all,
I suppose I should set that as a new question, I’ll do that later.
Regards
Kevin

Are you asking from a UI perspective? 2 ways that I’m aware:

1. Window->Reset to Default Layout
  2. Hold Shift key while opening LightBurn

I agree that your there-tone image question probably deserves to be a separate topic. Will see you there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.