Trolase Materials settings with red/black 100 W laser

I have a red-black 700x500 100W laser. I have some samples of TroLase. Someone has used them and has some power and speed settings for these materials.

Thank you

I do not have personal experience with this material, sorry. When I set up for a new material I use a testing file to dial in the settings that work best. Have a read here for better understanding:

Grab that file, adjust ranges for your setup and run on a scrap piece of material.

Mine is 50W so you will need to probably halve the power or double the speed. Big thing for me was to turn off the air assist on engrave or the surface colour was forced into the engraving. It looked horrible with the red trolase.
This is the cut settings for 1.6mm

Engrave settings

Cheers

David

1 Like

Not 100W but my 50W red black ruida laser settings are
Engrave 250mm/s @ 18% power No Air Assist
Cut 10mm/s @ 18% power Air assist.
Engraves beatifully and cuts just through.

Love to see a close up sample? I am having all sorts of issues with my 80w co2 dialling in the settings for trolase

Posted some previous settings that had the engrave at 70% power, but lots of projects later and looking closely under a magnifier I found the 40% better. I also found that removing the protective coating gave much better results so that may explain the decrease in power required.
I have a 50 w CO2, but it might give you a clue.
For engraving the surface I have 40% power (8ma) with 9500mm/min speed, 300dpi. 2% over scanning (note on wood I have always used 2.5 to get good edge definition, but on trolase this produces overshoot on letters like “E”. Important to have absolute minimum air at the nozzle, just enough to create a bubble in a cut of water. Too much air make the colour of the top bleed into the core. Especially bad with red.
For cutting you need air to stop it flaming. Use the enough air to stop it busting into flames!
Because I don’t have that level of control on my home built, I run the job in two passes turning the engrave layer on first with the cut layer off, then when that’s finished I turn on the cut layer, turn off the engrave layer and turn up the air flow manually.
Cut settings are:
1.5mm 700mm/min @ 70% (13ma).
3.2mm 600mm/min @ 80% (15ma)

Hope that helps,

David

Thanks David,

I had a little luck recently with Green/White Trolase using 300mm/sec @ 15% with Power, and the laser was 2mm out of focus.

Not as good a result using Black/White trolase with the same settings. also using line internal of 0.1mm which seemed to yield better results that 0.05mm

See pics attached.

Those are really nice Paul. Your speeds are much higher than mine, but my jobs have had very small - less than 2-3mm high text and graphics so any overshoot or slightest slop in the mechanics shows up. Interested that you power is well down even at those speeds. I tried less power but ran into losing edge definition, again probably due to the tiny graphics.

I forgot to mention, I am running a 80w Co2 with a ruida controller (no overscan settings).

Interestingly, just had a job with large letters and the best results were with a much lower power - 35% on 50w - 6mA. 9700mm/min. 400dpi… So different from when I was doing very small 2mm high text. Just goes to show, test,test test…