Trouble with Acmer Rotary

Has anyone on here successfully used the Acmer M2 rotary roller?
I keep getting Alarm 2 error.

What’s happening with the roller?
Type $# in the console window and post the output here.

Alarm 2 is over-travel. Disable the $20 soft limits parameter.
BECAUSE, there is no home switch on the rotary and it can rotate forever without hitting a limit.

Just don’t forget to turn it back on when you turn off the rotary, I set a couple of Console macro buttons to “Yaxis Mode” and “Rotary Mode” to change the parameter for me.

1 Like

Sorry misunderstood the questions.
Treated them as two separate issues.

Don’t apologize for trying to help someone. I see your name enough to know you are a good helper.

English is not my mother tongue. Sometimes my understanding slips, even sometimes my perception of something that I later realize was not what I had perceived.
In this case, the title and the questions should have tingled my brain and they didn’t.
Thanks.

This always causes issues. It really isn’t correct … It can rotate for ever, but it’s position will eventually be lost by the controller.

The controller loses where it is when it exceeds the maximum value, internally, of where it is. It rolls over to zero, at that point it’s doesn’t really know if this is the first or 5th time it’s rolled over…

If you move it to where the machine thinks is within the work area these errors will go away.

This is most likely a misunderstanding of how the coordinate system is applied to a rotary… from a machines view, it’s the same as with a table. If you did the same positioning on a table, you’d get the same error.

I don’t suggest you remove any normal protections you are currently using. It would greatly behoove you to figure out how this is occurring and understand the real problem. It’ll come about again if you don’t, worst case, you’ll recognize the issue in a second…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Enable cut selected graphics
And use selection origin

Will I need to change those back when I’m done with rotary?

These settings in the laser window are for you to control the actual job run.

If you’re using all the graphics, there’s no advantage and no difference to using cut selected graphics/use selection origin

He should have posted all the controls available on this part of the laser window, at least to include the start from pull-down… All of these affect how the job is interpreted and sent to the machine.

Might want to re-fresh yourself

1 Like

It depends on the origin you usually use.
If Absolute Coordinates Use Selection Origin gets grayed.

They are all connected to how the job is created and executed… There is no reason for a job origin as it’s specified as 0, 0 if you run absolute coordinates…

I run my mugs similar to those settings… I only have a single graphic, so no reason for messing with selections options.

I set the origin, from the console, use job origin at the 9 o’clock position and set start from to user origin.

He needs to take some time to get a handle on how these work or they will follow him, creating grief, throughout his laser life…

Run some jobs and ask questions if you don’t get it… it’s not osmosis, so you need to ask before you get frustrated…

1 Like

You are so correct. I need to really understand the origins and how they affect things. I made the two changes suggested by the other poster and nothing changed. Still got the 2 error.

After digging in the P2 manual did you switch to R?

I solved all problems today and it is working beautifully.

The purpose of these posts are to assist others, after you, with the same or similar issues…

The I got it fixed response, doesn’t help anyone know what the correct fix was.

1 Like

Sorry about that. I think it was just using current position instead of absolute coordinates.

It was already in Current Position in your picture.
Simple question: didn`t find a manual on the Acmer site only a video did the roller came with a manual?
Cause both my roller and chuck came with manuals

Once you make a certain change it defauts back to absolute. I think i kept forgetting to reset it.
There is no Acmer manual anywhere with more than basic info.

1 Like