Troubleshooting "tabs" showing up in parts that shouldn't have them

Machine: OMTech MF1220-50

I’m fairly new to laser cutting, and I’m encountering an issue with a cut file I have designed. I used the “trace image” feature to generate a cut path around several images, and in lightburn it looks perfectly fine. However, when I run the cut I get several places in the outline where the laser left behind small sections where it didn’t cut, forming tabs (a couple mm long at most) that make removing the pieces difficult.

The tab locations are sometimes consistent, but other times they will appear seemingly at random.

Here is an example of where the tabs are showing up, increasing over cut seemed to help with this spot, but not consistently.

Example 2:

Here are the cut settings used:

tinkering with speed, power, start/stop time, and overcut haven’t seemed to solve the issue, but I don’t know if I’m even in the right ballpark. Any help would be appreciated!

It’s because Min Power is set to zero. When cutting, that value should be equal to (or very close to) Max Power, because Min Power is what the controller uses when it’s moving really slow (10mm/sec or less), so when it’s slowing for corners, or the start/stop of a cut, you’re dropping below the point where it’s firing the tube.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Creality CR-Laser Falcon 10W - Minimum power setting in GRBL

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.