Two Trees Totem S / Air Assist Control

Totem S does not have a connector to control an air assist pump. Is there a board from another manufacturer that has the connector that can be swapped in?

Also, there’s a whte 3-pin connector on the board that the documentation labels as “Probe”. What is/could this connector be used for?

this is for autofocus sensor but i don’t think that GRBL has implemented this funcion on the firmware

Trying to avoid buying a new laser. Be great if I could simply swap the main board for one that has a connector for controlling “air assist”.

i don’t even know if there is one controller that has that connector which can be enabled with GRBL firmware

there is a motherboard that has the air assist controlled by a pin, is the MakerBase MKS-DLC32 on pin SCL

Thanks! Seems crazy with how important air assist is that it’s not a standard feature on all boards, especially with the option in the software like LightBurn.

you need to use a relay and configure LB to use M7 for air assist instead of M8

Thanks for the info!

Would that be the “CNC principal axis (spindle)” connection?

for what use? airassist? no in this board and with the MKS firmware you have to connect the signal relay to SCL pin of the 12C interface (in this pict is the one in the bottom) the use G and 5V from Probe intraface

Yes, it would be for air assist and I understand that I’ll have to incorporate a relay, which is not a problem. I just wanted to ensure the functionality would be there before I ordered the board. Would you mind sketching a simple schematic? Thanks

very very simple :slight_smile:

1 Like

just remember to use M7 to activate air instead of M8

Awesome! Thanks…

I’ve had a number of issues with the Totem S board. The laser freezes fairly frequently, and based on the symptoms, it’s definitely the main board and/or firmware.

The rebuild is basically complete! I purchased a bunch of V slot & transferred all of the hardware from the Totem S. It’s now running on the MakerBase logic board. It was fun using my 3D printers to make parts for the new laser. Lightburn now controls the air assist pump. The new laser can handle objects up to 31.375" (796mm) x 24.5" (622mm).

Many thanks to the forum members who helped along the way!

Wow. You’ve come a long way with this build. Very nice. :clap:

Thanks! I also added a connector with a 4 pull/double throw switch that the rotary unit plugs into easily. The platform height is adjustable in one inch increments on the four vertical aluminum tubes. It’s been a fun project!

Next mod I want to do is upgrade the laser to a 20w to speed it up & allow cutting thicker material. Several to choose from. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

If cutting is a priority I’d suggest considering a shift to a CO2 laser or converting your current design to a CO2 tube.

The prices of the 20W and 40W laser modules quickly go up in price. Part of it is material cost but I suspect the bigger part is less competition and closer proximity to CO2 laser performance. From what I saw, the 40W units can cut surprisingly well but still at roughly half the cutting performance of a 50W CO2 laser. You could likely modify your current solution to support CO2 for close to the same cost as a 20W module and certainly less than a 40W.

I only suggest this if cutting is your primary goal. The technologies certainly have their pros and cons. The cooling requirements and complexity of the mirror system are certainly the biggest drawbacks of a CO2 laser.

Just food for thought. I largely avoid discussions around laser module recommendations at this point so I’ll leave that for others.

Thanks for the info. If I were doing this as a money maker, I could easily justify heading down the co2 path. This is just a hobby for my wife & I. Cutting isn’t a priority. I just like to make things as versatile as possible. 10w heads are very reasonable so that’s what I’ll likely get. For me, rebuilding the laser is more fun than actually using it!