Unable to network laser through direct ethernet connection to Ruida 6445 from macOS

Sorry, I’ll try and explain this as best as I can here. I have read many other posts about similar issues.

I have followed the following guide -

I am attempting to swap over my USB connection to ethernet after moving my computer to approx. 20 meters away, It is a direct connection from my Mac mini ethernet port to the machine and does not go through any routers etc.

On my Ruida 6445 controller it shows the two computers in the bottom corner as connected (is not crossed out). In my Mac network settings it detects the connection and shows with a “self assigned IP” 169.254.XXX.XXX. I have ran terminal “ifconfig” and it shows the following:

en0: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
options=50b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_HWTAGGING,AV,CHANNEL_IO>
ether 5c:1b:f4:8b:5b:c8
nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>
media: autoselect (100baseTX )

But does not show an active IP however en1 shows:

en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
options=6460<TSO4,TSO6,CHANNEL_IO,PARTIAL_CSUM,ZEROINVERT_CSUM>
ether 5c:1b:f4:98:09:77
inet6 fe80::184f:34ba:64ab:b12e%en1 prefixlen 64 secured scopeid 0xd
inet 192.168.0.10 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
inet6 fd7e:92ee:93d7:7c87:4f2:e694:d597:5a9d prefixlen 64 autoconf secured
nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>
media: autoselect

So I have written to the controller IPconfig+ 192.168.0.110 as per the guide and I have tried to both manually create as well as edit existing laser, inputing the IP as per what was entered to the controller however it shows as disconnected, I have reset the controller and also R clicked the devices button.

In terminal I have also attempted to ping 192.168.0.110 and it failed coming back with request timeout, route is down and host is down??

I have tried running an alternate cable and having the same results. I have also attempted utilising the 169.254.XXX.XXX IP

Do you have any suggestions? Do I have to change the IPv4 to DHCP with manual address and then input the 192.168.0.10?
I’m very stumped as to why I can’t establish the connection given its a direct point to point connection.

P.s. I’m not super tech or network savvy, I’m just going off of my research in trying to resolve the issue. Any help greatly appreciated.

Do you have a network router to plug the Mac and the Ruida into?

othewise…
Things to try with just an ethernet cable setup.
On the Mac make sure your network IP# is indeed set to 192.168.0.10 manually.
On the Ruida control screen navigate to network setting and enter 192.168.0.20.
Leave the other number blank.
Restart the laser/Ruida.

See if you can select it in the Lightburn settings with the IP# 192.168.0.20.

This must be a typo?

He probably means .0.20 not .9.20, that’s probably outside the netmask.

The most easy way is via your local lan, but I have had my Ruida directly connected.

If you have an older router that you can configure as a bridge that works well also.

The information in the link looks correct… I’ll have to drag my mac out and see if it works.

I suspect you missed a step or some other issue.

Let us know what’s going on… This should not be too tough to figure out and use…

:smile_cat:

Yes, typo- fingers have their own mind. And I did not check post.

Thanks everyone for your input, I’ll have another crack today and set it to manually assign the IP, set the controller and lightburn again. Can someone explain how running it through a router will make a difference and if I do that do I connect the computer to the WAN and laser to LAN1? Does it have to be a separate router or can I use my ISP router and connect the computer to LAN1 and laser to LAN2? I’m not good with network IT stuff and am learning on the fly big time haha

Thanks all

The computer will get its own IP# from the router if set up for DHCP in network settings. The Ruida needs to be set for a static [manual] IP# at the control panel on the laser though.

When/if you set up both devices on the router and or ethernet hub/switch, you can send files to the laser through the network. I have my Ruida-based laser set up with one of these WiFi devices on the Ruida, and the TP-Link set up to access my WiFi network.

That way when I go into my laser room, no wires need to be connected or then disconnected when I leave the room.

Networks are designed to deal with handling IP, your computer needs to know an IP for the specific Ethernet port. The computer expects the other end to have a dhcp server that will give it an address. It can’t talk without an IP…

Although the setup should have done that, I don’t understand what exactly you did.

You should be able to plug it into either lan on the router. I think the maximum transfer speed with a Ruida is 100mb/s.

I used a t-link wireless bridge from Amazon for over a year.

I switched to the Lightburn PI bridge, which has a software layer to help with the Ruida UDP communications.

Good luck

What I’m trying to work out is do I need and if so why do I need a router in between if it’s CAT6 straight from the machine to my computer? I have set the ruida controller to its own IP to match the desktop but changing the last digits very slightly, input those into lightburn. Ruida controller shows 2 computers connected, computer shows Ethernet connection but lightburn just shows disconnected

Hope that explains better what I’ve done.

It’s AM time in Australia rn so I’ll start playing with some of the suggestions that have come in overnight. I do have my router for my wifi sitting close by, wasn’t sure with the suggestion if it’s a matter of connecting both the desktop and laser to LAN ports or if it was meant that I need a stand alone router to direct connect the computer and laser together.

Cheers

If you have connected your Mac directly to the Ruida I’d suggest going on an entirely different subnet than what you have used for wireless.

If your wifi is on 192.168.0.X. I’d suggest using something different for the laser and the Ethernet connect on the Mac. Ruida defaults to 10.0.3.3. In that case, I’d suggest changing the Ruida back to 10.0.3.3. Then, on the Mac you will need to manually configure the IP under the network settings. Set the IP address to 10.0.3.1, network mask to 255.255.255.0, gateway to 10.0.3.3.

Once you do that, make sure to change the IP to connect to for your laser in LightBurn. Edit->Device Settings. It needs to be set to 10.0.3.3 there.

Cool, I’ll give that a try.

I did just have a go at setting it on my windows laptop and worked straight away so it’s definitely something with the Mac that’s the problem not how I’m setting it up

Alright so after confirming it worked on my windows laptop I swapped back to the Mac and did all of what you suggested, I set the ruida controller and lightburn to 10.0.3.3 and set the Mac manually to 10.0.3.1 sub mask 255.255.255.0
In the Ethernet settings I couldn’t find a gateway?
Anyway still showing disconnected, opened terminal and tried to ping 10.0.3.3 and it kept timing out

Can you take a screenshot of your network settings on the Mac?

Are you certain that the ethernet on your Mac is functional?

Yeah Ethernet is working, connects and disconnects when I remove and install the cable.

You can put 10.0.3.3 under the “router” entry. It actually shouldn’t matter but that’s the equivalent of gateway.

Can you open a Terminal and run this? Please return output:

traceroute 10.0.3.3

Hey Berainlb,

So did as suggested, when I put in the 10.0.3.3 into the router it came back with this:

traceroute: findsaddr: write: No such process

when I deleted it back out and left router blank it came back with this:

traceroute to 10.0.3.3 (10.0.3.3), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 mygateway (192.168.0.1) 4.451 ms 2.252 ms 2.257 ms
2 lo10.lns22.alexeqn.nsw.vocus.network (203.134.80.15) 15.191 ms 15.233 ms 13.177 ms

All of this is why the suggestion was made to set the Ruida to an unused IP and plug it into your router/lan. You’d be up and running by now.

Direction connection does work, I ran mine directly connected for a couple of months, until I decided to cough up $12 for a wifi bridge…

I had some training (40 years ago) on networking, and direct connections work, but can be a PIA doing this… that’s why we suggest the easy way, using your local, already working, lan…

Most of us would rather be using our laser than fiddling with Ethernet configuration issues.

Best of luck

1 Like

Hey Jack,

I appreciate the responses but not the snide remarks. I don’t have a spare router laying around to try out and see if it’s working. I don’t have networking training or 40 years of experience doing this hence why I’m here. I did ask the question as to if I could run it through my router that’s hosting the Wifi on the LAN ports but wasn’t given a straight yes or no answer.

You’re right, direct connection does work as I proved today with my windows laptop, now I’m trying to understand why it won’t with Mac. It’s partly for the learning side too for me.

You were given a yes it works and to plug it into the Ethernet jack on the router, as was the suggested method. You decided you want it to be a direct connection. Part of the issue is that you are now dealing with two network domains.

What part of this comment isn’t a straight answer?

I understand if the idea is to just learn why it isn’t working or how to make it work, I though you just wanted to use your laser, so forgive me.

Good luck and have fun…

This looks more like syntax error than the proper output. Can you rerun this with router configured?

This implies a network misconfiguration.

Can you show the network configuration for the wireless connection? Do you have any other network adapters on the machine or anything slightly unusual about your network configuration?

Additionally, you can disable IPv6 configuration on the ethernet adapter.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.