Upgrading Air Assist

I’ve seen several YouTube videos showing how guys have improved the air assist of their machines. Several show 2 solenoid switches for both low and high pressure air for engraving or cutting. I can certainly understand wiring to the “air” terminal on the Ruida controller will work once the machine setting has been changed to “true” and the air assist is switched on in Lightburn, for high pressure air. But, I don’t understand how wiring the second solenoid to the “status” terminal will provide low pressure air for an engraving layer when the air assist is turned off in Lightburn.

I hope this makes enough sense for someone to help me with an explanation. I can’t find a Ruida connection diagram that I can read clearly online.

Thanks!

Dale

The status sink goes low when the machine is in run mode…

I use a solenoid on Status to allow compressor air into the machine. It flows through a restrictor, for low pressure, and out to the head.

Wind opens another solenoid bypassing the restrictor, putting compressor air to the head.

Left one allow air into the system (status) and right one (wind) bypasses the restrictor.

Make sense?

Be sure to add snub or flyback diodes when using equipment that has coils…

:smile_cat:

Is the tee on the right, the entry point from the compressor?

See attached photo. I think this follows what I saw on several YouTube videos. The solenoid on the right is HP. the other LP. They came with diodes.

Look right?

1 Like

Jack, I really need help. Although I have familiarity with electrical, I can’t get the low pressure switch/solenoid to operate. As it sits now, I have one lead connected between the 24 volt terminal on the controller and the switch (LED terminal). The other wire to the “Status” terminal on the controller. I have the high pressure wired the same except terminated to the "Air terminal on the controller; it works fine.

I misspoke in my earlier post. I’ll have the diodes on Monday and will put these in.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Dale

Not really a “fix” for the equipment you have already, but I use a dual port solenoid.
When enabled, the air flows from port “A” to the output. Disabled allows air from port “B” to flow. I have a manual ball valve to shut the air off when not running.

I have exactly the same, and expect the LP solenoid would operate when I turn off air assist

I should add that when swapping air and status connections at the controller, the LP solenoid operates, so I know it’s good. Also my controller is a KT322N

Dale

I don’t know what you are referring to…

The positive side of the solenoid goes to 24V, the negative side to the Ruida Status…

When status goes low the solenoid should pick or operate… On my Ruida I can measure it. Nothing connected to status. Reading from 24V to Status, it reads 24V when active and ~0V when not active.

You could have a hardware issue… You can measure any of these outputs that sink current for a comparison… Wind, status, out1 and out2 are all the same, electrically …

What causes the status to activate? I’ll take voltages later today.

Thanks

I measured the voltage between 24 volt and status while the machine is running. I got ~3 volts. I changed connection to out 1 and it works, although it works regardless of weather I switch air assist off or on in Lightburn. So, when I’m engraving, I get low pressure air. When cutting, I get both LP and HP air. I recognize that this is not the way it’s supposed to work. But it is somewhat meeting the intent of what I wanted to accomplish.

Are the status lights shown in your video original or did you add these? I have none.

Thanks again for your help!

Dale

Status becomes active when you press start or anything that causes the machine to execute the layer.

I’d expect 24V measured from status to 24V… It sounds like the other outputs work…

I don’t know of any configuration settings for the status output… only wind…

Hi Jack,

Something I just can’t figure out. Like you, I have a 2 solenoid scheme for air assist. I used red for the 24 volt positive to the KT322N. The HP solenoid is wired with the other end of the controller. The red wire is tapped to the LP solenoid. At the controller, a black wire goes to Air, then to the HP solenoid. I used a blue wire from the LP solenoid to the status terminal on the controller.

I ran a test project whose layer was fill. The air button on Lightburn was turned off, the HP solenoid activated. I changed the blue wire at the controller to Output 1, and both solenoids operated. I’ve measured voltage across the controller terminals and they reflect my test observations.

Do you think I should contact Omtech about a controller issue? I’m confident that I’ve wired correctly.

Thanks!

Dale

Absolutely… It sounds as if the Status sink isn’t working.

If you’re solenoids work off the OUT1 and OUT2 sinks, then the issue is the status sink isn’t working.

For this to work properly, I think you need both status and wind sinks to operate properly…

Let us know what happens…

Thanks for your guidance! I’ll be back.

Dale

Good Morning

Omtech is sending me a new motherboard. Can I assume this is located inside the enclosure that has the terminal blocks on each side?

So, unplug the terminal blocks, remove the cover and swap out the motherboard?

Thanks!

Dale

I’d guess they’d send you a whole new controller. I doubt they want you to disassemble the controller to get to it’s motherboard… but I don’t know how these companies think…

Will let you know