USB-hub macOS workaround (and possibly for other systems) with ESP32 (e.g. Creality Falcon)

Ok, so I had Lightburn working some weeks ago with a 12W cutting head on my Ender 3. But yesterday I could not get it working anymore. I tried a lot of options, updating CH34x drivers, etc.

As I last week upgraded to macOS Sonoma so I thought that might have been the problem. I also tried an Intel Macbook with High Sierra. All attempts were to no avail. Then I tried to use a Raspberry Pi. It did show the controller (slush) but the usb-to-ip option also didn’t work (for some reason I didn’t investigate thoroughly I must confess) and it seems to be too cumbersome to install Lightburn on it till an ARM64 version is available for Raspbian.

Windows couldn’t detect the controller either but that might be a secondary problem (I run Windows via Parallels). Also I updated the firmware to the latest (2022) version from the Creality site. Nothing worked.

But after two days of ‘reseach’ I read a tiny comment by Alexander Frank. He mentioned that that adding a USB-hub might solve the problem. So apparently last time I used a hub and totally forgot about it. As the Creality Falcon controller is USB-C already there is no conventional need to use a USB-C of course. But it came with a USB-C to USB A cable I think that might have been why I used a hub.

Using (at least) any of these hubs seem to work like a charm:

• Inatek 10 Gbps 7-in-1 USB 3.2 Gen 2 Hub with HDMI Port, SD/TF Card Slot, HB2027
  • Anker PowerExpand 8-in-1 USB-C adapter, USB-C Media Hub, Dual 4K HDMI, 100W Power Delivery 1Gbps Ethernet 2 USB 3.0
  • Anker USB 3.1 adapter, USB-C to USB-A
  • Anker 547 Hub voor MacBook

So hope this will also be helpful for many others!

It is possibly also a useful workaround for Espressif / ESP32 development on Mac but that is another topic :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.