Using LightBurn to cut at varying depths to create siding on a house

I am trying to design an outer wall for a small model building to that it looks like siding on the outside of the buildingā€¦ can this be done in LightBurn and the engraved? If so any tips on how to do this? Your help is greatly appreciatedā€¦

A CO2 laser when used in grayscale mode is for 3d type work, not to produce a true gray scaleā€¦

All the deep engraving involves burning away the area you donā€™t want, which leaves it pretty darkā€¦ Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s what you want.

Maybe someone else has some ideas, but the laser beam usually leaves dark, burnt areas when you go deep with wood productsā€¦ You can get them to cut pretty cleanly, but engraving deep could be an issue.

Good luck

:smile_cat:

You may be able to use something from here for your project.
(you can always scale it up :wink: )

Bryan, YES it can be done, but you need to be more specific in what you want the outside of the building to look like ā€“ slats, brick, panelling, etc.

Use the link that Bernd.dk just sent over. I posted a similiar question.

On a side note, I am using nothing more than a 15W ORTUR entry level desk-top laser cutter. I did upgrade the lense, added air assist, housed it in a home-made box with an exhaust duct to remove any smoke, and I am getting fantastic and precise cuts for 1:220 scale no less. Granted, it does take some fiddeling, testing and setting adjustments to cut some super small details, but thatā€™s part of the challenge.

Thanks so much for the replies. I am experiencing a learning curve with my 80w Omtech. This thing is awesome. The limitations are mine. So yes, it is a challenge in deed.
For a more technical answer: I am looking to create a siding look, the side walls on the outside look like they have something like aluminum sidingā€¦

This might be possible in a material like acrylic, probably not in MDF / wood / chipboard, and it will help if you enjoy hand-finishing.

I set up a grayscale test pattern to vary the power from about 10% to 90% (plus 100% reference bars on each side) and engraved it in clear acrylic in Passthrough mode:

The isolated bar on the left is 1 mm across and the one on the right is 2 mm. The sine-ish waves have a 2 mm ā€œwavelengthā€, so theyā€™re reasonably close to the scale you want. The surface finish leaves a lot to be desired, but I wasnā€™t optimizing for that.

You could set up a grayscale image of the siding, with shading indicating the depth, then spend tweak the power / speed / gray levels to get something that looks like siding.

Definitely show off your results when you wrangle it to a standstill!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.