Vasily39 Designs Kerf Question

I have purchased several designs from Vasily 39 on Etsy. When looking through the design files, I see different folders for 0 kerf and .15 kerf.

I understand kerf (long time woodworker), but I’m curious as to what the point of adding 0 kerf designs to a file is.

After googling quite a bit and searching previous topics here, I’m still not understanding why the 0 kerf would be in there. There’s always going to be kerf-consumption, even with a pinpoint laser.

Quick and dirty answer, anyone?

The 0 kerf would be the nominal design. So as intended. The kerf variations are likely hard-coded design changes that deviate from the original design.

The 0 kerf version allows you to account for kerf on your own.

Note that LightBurn has a built-in feature for kerf adjustment in the Cut setting. Alternatively, you can use the Offset Shapes tool to hard-code your own kerf compensation.

Also note that all laser machines will have its own kerf characteristics so may not fit a specific pre-defined kerf value very well.

Makes sense, not actually sure what the kerf is on my laser at optimal focus range, so the 0 kerf sounds like where I need to start testing. I be it’s smaller that .15 (hopefully)

Thanks again!

Check out this tool to test kerf:

Nb. if you use “boxes.py” you (also) have the option to set the kerf from standard 0.1 mm to 0 mm and then use LightBurn for the task.
In my eyes, it is a professional way to take care of kerf in their designs, knowing that people handle the task individually.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.