Version 1.2.04 not opening older .lbrn files

Hello. I saw a thread to this ‘Error’ back in Sept '21, (Problems opening .lbrn files) unfortunately it closed without any apparent resolution.
When I try to open an older file, the Lightburn workspace will open, the file name will appear at the top, but there is no image in the work area. This happens whether I try to open from within Lightburn or via File Explorer and clicking on a file. Zooming in or out does not show up any artwork. This happens with all my .lbrn files but there is no problem with .lbrn2 files. I loaded up an older version 1.1.04 but the .lbrn files still did not open. Have I missed a setting somewhere? Hoping someone can help.

Can you upload one of the problem files for us to look at?

Thank you for getting back to me, I hope you will be able to help. Does not open in 1.2.04 or 1.1.04
Celtic Cube.lbrn (674.3 KB)

Comes up as an empty file for me.

Thanks for looking Bikemike. Since the file has a size, I thought something should have shown up. Hence the zoom in/out in case there was a change in size or placement somewhere along the line.

It comes into LB 1.2.04 as empty for me too. However, there does look to me like there’s geometry in the file. If I open it in Notepad++ there are lots of entries that appear to be shape definitions so I suspect file corruption.

If you’re on Windows you might be able to look at previous versions of your files to see whether an older version exists and has the expected geometry, or you could check your backups.

The content of this file is corrupted:

Do you save these to a shared network store, like Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive, etc? Something has completely messed up the content of this file.

I noticed this too and was pretty sure it had been corrupted but forgot to mention it in my post. Hopefully @Nivek has got a previous version or a backup he can use.

Thank you @Oz, by the looks of things I have backed up corrupt files :sob:
I had an early version of a different file in CorelDraw, the final didn’t open in Lightburn. Having exported it and opened in Notepad++ I can see the difference in file notation. Once again, thank you for having taken the time to find out what was wrong. Back to the drawing board :pencil2:

It would appear that yourself and @Lightburn have come to the same conclusion in that I have a corrupt file. It’s just a pity that I obviously have a few of them :-1:

If you’re on Windows it might have saved a version history. To check this right-click the file in Explorer and select ‘Properties’. In the properties dialogue select the ‘Previous Versions’ tab. It might take a few seconds but hopefully you’ll see a list of older versions like this:

You can then open each one in turn to see whether you’ve got a good copy that you can restore.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I’ll give that a try, good to know.

Alternatively if you’re using one of the cloud storage services as @LightBurn suggests it might have it’s own version history you could check.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.