Voidmicro laser engraver fail to homing correctly

1. How to differentitate which is front and back.
    The parking position now is where the X and Y homing switch location now (all together consist 2 switch ).
    Can I consider that is BACK left position.

2. When homing, the Y motor is moving and the X motor is NOT moving at all. After the Y axes hit the Y axes homing switch, the X axes will bound 100mm to the right and Y axes will bound 10mm downward.

3. If I use G0 X10 Y10 in console command, the head will move the right → 10mm and downward ↓ 10mm and display will report as X=10.00, Y=10.00
    I thought positive Y position supposedly to be move upward.

4. This unit is just purchase from VOIDMICRO and both limit switch confirm to be working fine as measure it with multimeter and it react accordingly.
    Voidmicro has very poor service support.

5. Attempt to proceed with engrave and after engrave, it prompt out error 7 which I really don’t understand into

6. Below is my Lightburn setting

Lighburn setting

1. Below is my lightburn device setting
    device setting

2. Below is machine setting parameter,
    machine setting

Below is my $$.

1. I did try using other laptop and desktop to run and encounter similar problem too.
    Basically I’m using Dell i7 laptop with WINDOW 10.

I’ve been struggle few day on the issues. Appreciate if any gurus here able to help to resolve the issues.

I don’t know this machine but from what I’ve seen in a brief web search makes me believe that back-left is indeed the expected homing position.

To me this sounds like the central issue. Both axes should be moving concurrently. Need to sort out why this might be the case.

From what I saw it looks like there is a lot of self-assembly for this laser. Is that correct?

From what I saw in searches I think this is expected. Looks like your machine is designed to work from 4th quadrant:

Note that your screenshots are of such low resolution that they’re essentially illegible.

But in any case, I suspect a hardware issue of some sort, possibly related to the homing switches. I’d focus on the X. Is it possible that it’s continuously actuated.

Run these commands in Console and return the full output:

$H
$#
?
1 Like

Berainlb,
It’s happy to see your reply.
Yes , this system is self assemble type when purchase.

Here you are the execute code as per request:-

I don’t like that one command returned an error. That can sometimes indicate a corrupted firmware.

When the machine homed, did the laser head move to the top-left and properly actuate the homing switches?

The laser head didn’t move at all to the left or on x-axis.
Only y-axes is moving to the y-axes going point.
If I turn on hard limit value as 1, it’ll report out that limit has been trigger eventhrough physically non of axis hit the limit switch.
But I’m certain that the limit switch is not trigger.
Everytime if I press x-axis limit switch with hand, the system will get into disconnect eventhrough hard limit value is set as 0. Thus, I can confirm that the limit switch is function well.
The limit switch is using kind type of tactile switch instead of 3 pin microswitch

What do you mean by disconnect in this situation? Pressing the limit switch should never cause the system to reset or go offline.

If you manually trigger the Y-axis switch, do you get the same behavior?

The issue is almost certainly in the X-axis switch. Try disconnecting the switch entirely and test homing. If the laser head moves on the X-axis then that confirms the issue.

Can you take a photo of this or link to a similar switch?

The x axes switch is looks something like this.

Try the other two tests I mentioned previously. What happens for each?

Berainlb, appreciate so much on your kind support.

I dismantle out the switch to share better appearance.
As per how it looks like:-

I disconnect the connection of the X limit switch and attempt to HOMING.
Similar problem encounter whereby the X-axes is not moving. Except Y-axes.
Attach is what the console report out after the homing.

Nothing is happening after HOMING eventhrough i press the Y-axes limit switch with hand.

There’s likely something wrong with the firmware or hardware of the controller. It’s also possible that something is incorrect with the wiring.

Try flashing the firmware with the latest version and retest.

berainlb,

I’m bringing some good news.
I disconnect up the mainboard completely to take some picture and connect it back.
After that, the X axes and Y axes able to move to HOMING automatically.
However, i attempt to type something you provided in console and it encounter some error as per attach.

While if I attempt to move the position using G0, it got no error.
But if I attempt to move the position using X/Y move button , it’ll encounter error.

What’s this error mean actually.

The error is indicating that it can’t read values from memory. This is why I suspect a firmware issue.

However, it’s possible the machine will work correctly now that the movement issue has been corrected.

Can you confirm that the homing switches are in place? Does homing complete correctly to the top-left corner of the machine?

Run these commands in Console. What happens?

$H
G0 X50 Y50

If the laser head moved toward the center of the machine, try the jogging controls. Do they work in the direction expected?

When use G0 X50 Y50, yes, t’s move toward center which seem normal.
But if i use jog button, it’s not moving accordinly to the direction.

I attempt to burn and YES it can burn accordingly and to the position too.
it just everytime it end, it’ll prompt out error 7.
Subsequently after that, it can’t continue to proceed further burn or re-burn on new batch.
Unless i type $RST=* in the console.
Then, it works back which i feel inconvenience.

If i run it using Laser GRBL, everything is normal without any error.

But i feel that lightburn s/w is more user friendly and powerful tool.

This system works in with 2 firmware inside originally which i can switch it either using manufacturer simple burning s/w ( i need to switch the firmware by press and hold Y limit switch for like 10sec ) or GRBL firmware.

I’m not familiar with flashing the firmware and i think it may high risk too.

Basically this is how the controller board looks like and it’s different with normal ordinary GRBL controller board.

What happens exactly? Does up move up, down move down, left move left, right move right?

This shouldn’t happen. Again, I suggest you trying to reflash the firmware. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines on how to do this for your machine. You only need to flash the GRBL side if that’s an option.

There’s no instruction form manufaturer site or instruction manual on upgrading the firmware and there’s no response at all from voidmicro manufacturer eventhrough several email been emailed to them.

I’m thinking either is it possible to backup the firmware before flashing new firmware into. Which something like we flashing computer BIOS/CMOS.
If yes, appreciate if you can provide the link.
( I tried goggle around for the GRBL firmware backup and can’t find it. ).

Thanks…

I’m not familiar with the particular board or manufacturer. ESP firmware can have a read protect so it may be difficult to read the firmware from the controller.

You can find a firmware flashing utility here:
Tools | Espressif Systems

However, I’d suggest only attempting this after getting confirmation of how to do the update and with a valid firmware image.

Your number 3. Did you updated your board using voidmicro software?
If yes.

1. If you jog your machine to y+ will it go downward? And if you jog y- will it also go downward?
  2. Is your on board wifi still working?
  3. Do you need to press the y axis switch to make the indicator led light blink blue and red to be able to connect to lightburn and lasergrbl?

Yes , the board has been update using VoidMicro .

1. If I’m using Laser GBRL software, if I I jog machine to y+, it’ll move downward.
    While if using lightburn, it can’t jog at all. It’ll prompt out error 7.
    But if using lightburn with command g0 y50, it’ll move downward without any error .

2. The wifi board is not working when it operate in laser gbrl mode ( red and blue led blinking).
    But in another non laser grbl mode (red led blinking) , it’s working .

3 Yes. Indeed I need to press and hold the y axes sensor to switch to laser GRBL mode

Is the machine now homing correctly?

What happens if you issue G0 X50?

Can you copy and paste the error and anything surrounding the error?

Yes, the machine can home successfully now without any problem.

Question: What happens if you issue G0 X50?
It’ll be move to the right without any error. But if i use toggle step by step moving using cursor, it’ll error.
This is the error code.

I temporary still using it and I can burn my project successfully. It just that eveytime it burn completely, the error 7 will prompt out .
After that, I need to reboot the system or key in in the console command as “$RST=*” to recover the error.

I guess there’s no problem to either the firmware or hardware now and it seem that the hardware is incompatible with lightburn.

BTW, is there a way to run in wifi mode when in “Laser GRBL” mode which blue/red light blinking mode.

P/S: I got no any error if operate using Laser GRBL.