Welding no longer opperating well (recent)

So the last 2 days the welding functions are no longer opperating like they should be. I spent 5 hours doing tutorials yesterday hoping I missed something. However, I have been welding in LB often since August. I went back to version 09.16 due to an issue with 09.18, tried to bite the bullet and install 09.19 and it simply will not install.

Anyone else experiencing issues, when I attempt to weld my images disapper (only 2 images). I really want the Boolean Union feature but it does not show possible, this is how I joined vectors before. I am working on adding a name to a monogram, very simple, standard practice. No matter the order I click in, it deletes most of the image, whereas 3 days ago it would join correctly.

We have not had reports of any of the Boolean features not working in the last few releases, so we need you to explain the exact steps you take when you think it is not working as you’d expect, and we can guide from there. Show us via screen captures to illustrate what you see.

You use the word “Images”, so just to offer clarity, Boolean tools do not work with bitmaps images.

What does this mean, exactly? Where does the installation fail? Do you get any messages when you see this happen? Please remember, telling us something is not working lets us know. Telling us the details helps us to provide help to you.

I have no idea what laser system this is. Please update your forum profile to include the controller used to drive this “100watt red and black from China” so we don’t have to ask each time you have a question.

Are they images, or are they vectors? Booleans and the weld tool all work on vectors only, and if the Boolean tools aren’t giving you the option to use them, it’s likely that your shapes are either images (bitmaps) or the shapes aren’t closed properly - Booleans and weld both required closed loop shapes.

And I’m also curious as to why you weren’t able to install 0.9.19. Please elaborate and share any error messages you got.

Hi Rick, I updated my machine, which has changed since I started back in August and I did not know anything about lasers. I am updating the error screen on the install and hopefully a video here momentarily of welding trouble. I did use images incorrectly this is a monogram svg with simple text added.

I apologize for the confusion I caused. I am still very new to posting and asking for help. lb issues

I tried to email a video, mp4s are not allowed. i am happy to send that to an authorized email if there is one?

we have finally deleted and re-installed lightburn successfulluy after hard booting the computer. The welding issue I have several videos for but there doesn’t seem to be a way to upload here?

Hi Rick, I have a few videos showing the weld function issues. Is there a way to email videos, I get error messages when posting videos here?

After hard booting my computer the install of 09.19 was successful, the error I was getting is pictured below.

HAWKINS.lbrn (82.1 KB)

one of the trouble files

I found some non-closed lines, after they were closed the welding went as it should.

HAWKINS-1.lbrn (93.0 KB)

Thank you very much, is there a way I could have “checked the file” for that? Or just zooming in with a very good eye? I would love to know so I can fix myself next time, appreciate your help very much.

There are a few ‘Selection’ option.

:slight_smile:

Thanks Rick, I have been messing with my own file for 3 days,and searching for a resolution online. I would really like to know how to troubleshoot on my own, but this method doesn’t seem to reslove the issue either. Bernd above got the file to work with a different font and found open lines in the purchased svg, but if I follow the steps to set open shapes to fill it doesn’t show me anything (tried grouped and ungrouped-looked closely at nodes, etc.), even when changing my window view as suggested in another LB post when searching this topic.I can’t fix on my own. I am trying my very best, just striking out.

For this example, your exact font is not required.

Looking at this file now. I see the outer shape of the monogram has issues for Boolean tools to work. This will need to be corrected if you want to use the Boolean tools to help you with this editing. These shapes need to be closed.

I selected the monogram shape and ungroup, then select the upper outside shape and changed its layer to see and select easier. We will put it back after corrections are made. Did the same for the bottom section of the outer shape. I put that one on its own layer as well.

Note that only part of the outer section of the lower part (red layer) is selected. What you want is all outer elements connected into a single shape like this.

You can Shift-click the layer color or (from menu ‘Edit’→’Select all shapes in current cut layer’) to select all on that layer. In this case, to select all elements of this outer shape. Now hit ALT-J to ‘Auto-Join selected shapes’, also on the ‘Edit’ menu. The result is that you now have a single, closed shape making it available for Boolean / Weld options.

You will need to do this for the top section (green layer) as well. Once closed, select both the red and green sections, group them and change their layer back to black.

Now you should be able to select the grouped outer shape (top and bottom) and the text. The Boolean tools section of icons will light and become available for use.

Let us know if this workflow doesn’t work for you on that end.

Good morning and sorry I did not manage to explain my approach to this problem solving.
Rick actually explains the solution very nicely, however, my approach was a little different.
I started by importing your drawings, I do not have the specific font type that you use but it does not matter in this context. Then I tried welding your text on a new double square / frame, it worked fine. Then I searched for not closed frames in your bottom graphic but could not find anything right away. In these cases, I like to use the “break apart” function and then the “close path” function. It did not help either, so I use “set shape startpoint” and zoom all the way to the arrows and here I can see the lines that are not connected (with me the automatic close path function did not work, the gap was probably too big). The line with which the text is to be welded must be a closed segment as Rick very correctly says. Then everything works as desired.
By the way, I also often have problems with the Boolean operations, and could wish for a small popup with a reference to the error, but if we just remember that everything can be welded as long as it is closed segments, then it will work.
I hope my googletranslate English is understandable enough.

Thanks Rick, this helps me understand the process much better, appreciate it!

Thanks Bernd, appreciate these suggestions and follow through on the explaination of your process. I have learned a lot with this small issue. Appreciate your time.

You’re welcome, that’s why we have this forum to help each other and gain experience.

Something that might help: If I use ‘Select Open Shapes’ with your file, it selects the top and bottom parts of the monogram. Flipping to ‘Edit Nodes’ mode and zooming in, this is what one of the shapes looks like:

The large green dot is the first point in the shape. If you click and drag it, you can see that it’s not connected to the other end:

Undoing this, just go to Edit > Close Selected Shapes with Tolerance and that gets most of them. However, the lower part of the design has multiple parts that are disconnected, and Rick’s suggestion above, using Auto-Join, is the way to fix those.

Thanks Oz, this too is helpful so I can troubleshoot my stuff later. I just tried this method too, and it does become clearer what is happening. Thank you for your follow up, appreciate it!

Can I ask how this was created originally? Is it imported from something else, or all created within LightBurn?