What’s the minimal wattage do you need to do 2.5D engraving

So I’m looking at possibly getting a BossLaser my question is for those of you who do 2.5D engraving what’s the minimal Wattage needed for that field of work as I’m looking to do that kind of work, I’m looking at their 70Watt laser as it’s still fairly cheap compared to others but had great customer support. Thanks again

I have an 80 Watt laser and it does fine. I usually use much less than full power and multiple passes to get reasonable results. Relief engraving is still something I’m trying to get a handle on, but the results so far are OK. I find to get the contours I want takes some time in image processing to get things to engrave right. I have gotten good detail and contours trying different settings.

Take good notes on everything you try, it will help keep track of what works and what doesn’t.

I think the 70W laser will be just fine.

Ok thanks, what brand are you using and would you mind sharing some pictures of what you have done? Just so I can see what I can expect from the laser, once I figure it out.

Also if you mind giving me a idea of how long a 2.5D carving takes in time, from placing it in the machine till it’s done and coming out because I am having trouble finding that kind of info online, I realize time will differ from material, size, and detail. I would just like a rough idea of how long, whether it be by square inch or based off one of your carvings you did, so that I can take note. Thanks again man!!

This is the very first thing I tried to grey scale engrave. It’s an image I found online and seemed to be a good one to play with. The laser I have I made myself.

Ok cool, anything else you could recommend or say that might help me on my research sense I’m still looking. Thanks

A lot of the Chinese lasers come with over spec’d laser tubes, know what you are really getting.

Ruida controllers are nice. If you plan on using Lightburn, make sure it has a compatible controller.

With a real 70W tube, you will probably want and active chiller for the water.

My pointer laser runs through the CO2 laser path, I think this is much better than the setups that have the pointer lasers on the side of the head.

Same with air assist, through the laser nozzle is better than the side.

Really think about what you need for XY size and consider where it’s going to go. I built a 900x600, kind of wish I went one size bigger.

Think about how you are going to handle the exhaust. The fans that come with a lot of the kits are loud and not very good. What ever the exhaust, need to get it out of you work area.

Are you planning only hobby/light use, or is this going to run hard? I almost bought one of the red/black machines but when I really looked at how is was built, decided to build my own. The enclosure would have been nice, but I would trust my gantry to run all day every day and hold it accuracy.

Most important, really understand laser safety. These lasers at their minimum power will take an eye out before you know anything even happened. IR is not visible, so you don’t see that something is wrong. Not to be scared of this, but be careful.

Honestly, leave this up to a different tool (like CNC spindle with a V Bit). I do not suggest buying a laser machine if your requirement or primary desire is this type of work.

1 Like

Well it depends on what you want to do because really detailed 2.5D work can only be done with a Co2 laser, you might consider looking at some of the really impressive work that has been done by a Co2 laser. I know this because I ran a Mazak at my last job and it could do some really impressive stuff that a CNC Lathe Could never do, I’m just looking at getting one as a hobby possibly start a business sense my dad already has a Shop-Saber that can do everything else. Thanks man I do appreciate your help and input :+1:

Thanks man, I was aware of most of the stuff you named but you did Bering out a few things that I didn’t think about, one is table size up till you pointed that out I was mainly looking at prices as the Boss Laser with most of the extras would cost $5,800.00 before taxes and shipping cost as it weighs 380 pounds so that’s going to be a few hundred dollars more. It’s a made in the USA in Florida, here’s the link to the one I’m looking at https://www.bosslaser.com/boss-ls-1416.html

Now My only problem is what ever size I go with it has to be able to fit I’m my shop door which is only 36” opening :unamused: so ya can’t be anything big.

P.S.
The Boss laser is LightBurn friendly as they actually are working with each other.

When I was looking at the Chinese lasers on Ebay, I did ask if they came apart. The top section should come off the base and get through a door sideways. I actually have mine in my basement, so it would have had to go down stairs and make a 90 on a landing and keep going down. It was doable but…

Ya but mine would be already Assembled and as it’s American made not China, did you look at the laser that I sent the link to it.

Yes I did look at your link. I saw that it comes with a Z axis which is nice. When I first built mine, I did not do a Z Axis. I added it later and I’m glad I did.

I would bet the Boss machines come from Asia, but that doesn’t mean they are bad. It’s good to have a company that is US based to sell and support.

The lasers I was looking at were also built and shipped complete in a crate. The could just be taken apart if needed to get them where they need to go.

I built mine from scratch. I did it in a way that major assemblies can come apart so I can get it out of my basement if I ever need to

What ever you decide to get, just use it.

Ok thanks, by the way Boss Laser is American made they manufacture the majority of the parts in the USA, unlike Thunder laser which is a china laser with customer support in the USA, I totally get what you’re saying. Thanks again

BOSS laser is NOT made in America, it is a Chinese OEM machine made by G. Weicke and branded at the factory as a BOSS, then shipped to the United States for final QC and a few parts to be added. The only thing about them that is American is the support.

How do you know that? Show me where please as I’m only interested in American made, but here is what’s telling me It’s American made, this is a screenshot directly from Bosses website

Nothing in that screen shot says American made. What they do say is that many companies import cheap lasers with poor quality control. What Boss does is import high quality lasers and performs strict quality control. They say they Design and Engineer and test, but do not say manufacture, which would be required to be able to qualify as made in America.

1 Like

As well, Boss uses made in china tubes, controllers, stepper motors, and stepper motor drivers. These are the key components in the laser. I am not saying they are poor quality, quite the opposite, they have chosen high quality parts for the build. But to get a Made on America machine with made in America parts, you will be chasing unicorns.

1 Like

Ok thanks, I was reading up and now see what you’re saying, so thanks. My question is how come they don’t have it easy to see that it’s made in China like most things? The way they worded it led me to believe they made it but you pointed out they never said manufactured, which is something I missed so I greatly appreciate your support, but like I said I started looking up where Boss lasers are made and found forums that are saying exactly what you’re saying :+1:

Do you know of any lower cost American made lasers? I’m familiar with epilog laser but boy is that pricey, thanks again