Xtool D1 now supports lightburn

Ok, now that the D1 supports lightburn, has there been any success stories? I think we’re going to get one, but just want to make sure that all is well.

XTool appears to have jumped the gun on their marketing/ release a little.

Yes, we were already in contact with them, and according to them, they have a new GRBL compatible firmware version for the machine that should make it work with LightBurn.

We do not know the timing of when they will release this - whether that is now, soon, or later.

And since this is new and has not been tested internally by us, we are not able to comment or confirm anything about compatibility at this time.

We would recommend sending any of your immediate questions, concerns, or comments directly to the manufacturer.

I just updated my D1 firmware, and followed the instructions on the Xtools website. Lightburn seems to work properly for cutting from a DXF file, as well as vector graphics generated in Lightburn. :slight_smile:

We’ll be testing this in house tomorrow (probably “today” by the time most people read this) and will report back.

I know the MakeBlock people have been working very hard to get their firmware working properly with LightBurn, so I suspect this update will work as intended.

Are u using windows or Mac? I downloaded the linked .lbdev file from Xtool and when I try to import the file is grayed out… how did you get it to import?

I installed mine on windows 10, make sure you click the import button on the right like it shows in the user guide from xtool and not the import preferences button on the bottom left. This tripped me up at first as well. Now has anyone else been having scaling issues? I have had these and a few others so far. I already sent a message to makeblock but it’s still too early to expect a response.

I’m on a MacBook. I followed everything correctly several times but the file Xtool linked is still just grayed out and unselectable. It saved as a .txt at first so I renamed it with the .lbdev it wants but no change…

I and a few others seem to have reproducible issues when using Lightburn with the D1. It’s my only laser, so I can only compare some basics with Lightburn vs. their included LaserBox.

At first, I thought it was simply some belt tension issues (which I did have to resolve)… but the issue seems to happen when changing speeds, and it causes some image “shifting” where things are no longer aligned.

I’m happy to provide my Lightburn file… and happy to contribute some time to debugging/testing D1 issues if that’s of any value/help to you.

1 Like

Here is a link to Lightburn, Laserbox, DXF, and GCode files. https://bit.ly/D1LTestFiles

I believe I identified a problem with the D1 firmware … it looks like their $1 and $10 values are (sort of) inverted. They have $1 set to ‘0.03’ … but I believe this should be set to 25 or 255; and they have $10 set to ‘255’ but it should be ‘3’.

When trying to override the values through the console or starting GCode UI an ‘ok’ response is sent back from the firmware, but a $$ listing shows the values haven’t changed.

The issue has been image shift on burning, which I am hypothesizing is due to the stepper motors not remaining in powered to hold their position.

I’ve alerted XTool… but haven’t heard back yet, and don’t have a way to further test on my end, and thought you might be able to either (a) verify if this is an issue; and/or (b) pass the info along with more credibility if it is.

Thanks— and love the Lightburn software… I specifically waited to get the D1 until it was available.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m new to laser engraving, just got the xtool D1. Going through the process of upgrading the firmware and it’s just sitting there with the arrows swirling around. How long did your D1 take to update? This has been sitting here for hours and doesn’t seem to be doing anything. I’m afraid to pull the plug and mess things up. Thanks for any help you can give.

Mine tried to take a while, then I realized I was connected to the wrong network. Once I corrected this and restarted the process it went pretty fast. So it does seem to be network dependent.

Im currently having the same issue. Its taking hours to update it. I have closed out the program, and re connected the laser. Still seems to be taking forever. Did you find a fix? When I launch the program, and conect the laser, it prompts me to update it. I click up date and wait…and wait… and wait. It does say something about select the “update switch to the left?” is there a switch on the laser itself?

I didn’t get it to work yet. I watched a YouTube video that showed a guy doing it and it only took about 2 minutes. I have been able to use lightbox to engrave text and images. So I know the engraver works. Let me know if you have any luck.

I did finally get the update of the firmware to work. I have been playing around burning things in the lightbox software. Today I started the program and it popped up that a new version was available and it worked to setup the firmware. But I still can’t get lightburn to find the laser

Go into you device manager and see what port your laser is on. The instructions show port 3 as an example, mine was port 5. It depends on what ports have already been assigned. For example, my wireless mouse usb adapter already took port 3.

Hi Coby, I’m the same image shift when it switches to the cut layer from engraving. Have you figured out a solution or heard back from xtool?

David

I thought of all you guys here when I ran into a video on YouTube from Under Dunn today. He recently tested a number of lasers including the Xtool D1 and talks about LightBurn as well as his experiences with Laserbox and troubles upgrading the firmware. They mirror some of the discussions here.

Some levity as you trudge forward:
I Got Sent MORE Free Lasers! Are Any of Them Good? - YouTube

My understanding, from another D1 user I worked with to prove the issue, has a ticket open with them, and they (Xtool) confirmed the problem with their firmware, and supposedly are releasing an update around the 20th.

That’s all I know at this point… but I’m also looking at other systems too because the firmware has other problems too, and doesn’t let you override the settings, even though you should be able to. It will be interesting to see what gets resolved with their next release.

I just got my D1 today. Had the issue with the firmware not updating but it worked after a laptop and laser reboot. I can get it connected to Lightburn and start burning a file. It works for less than a minute and then stops. I get an error message that it lost USB connectivity. This is repeatable. I’ve switch out the USB cable and used a different USB port. The same cables and ports work with my other laser. Any ideas?