$79 Cenoz laser engraver on Amazon... any good?

Yes.
I just found it.
Its working now.
I’m not so sure that I like this software.
I would rather have it work with Lightburn.
It appears the the memory stick needs to be plugged in for it to work.
But its running right now and I don’t dare to unplug it.

Mine worked ok without the usb stick…

:smile_cat:

Do you like that software?

No, my manual never told me how to change languages and I wasn’t really interested in learning something that I know is junk. I also have a 30 watt Neje model I’d like to replace the head with.

I’m going to try and upgrade the software like some others have done.

Still eludes me why they would put software in a controller that wouldn’t allow anything but a proprietary system. They could have sold a gizzion of these things. They are built pretty well and are dirt cheap.

So I want to get this machine to work with Lightburn today.
Is this the correct file?
Also, What is the ROM BIN file?
Does it need to be installed also?
upgrade.zip.txt (38.4 KB)

It’s the file I attempted to put on mine and bricked it…

I haven’t given up as I didn’t hold down the button and cycle the power, so I don’t know what I did.

Purchased a st-link dongle that I have, but can’t find the usb extension so I can get it to the board. I’m going to try and reload it.

I’m going to follow David’s procedure shown in post 8

I think that’s the one I’m going to try also… I’m not 100% clear about what is what and this thread is becoming unimaginably long… :frowning:

I know what you mean.
I’ve been following the same topic between 3 different threads on two different sites.
I hope this works today.

David,

1. Push and hold button on JL1 while powering it on… puts board in upload mode
    Is this correct?
    It is only a on and off switch.
    As soon as I turn it on, it goes into the homing cycle.

Jan, that zip file is the correct one. And the post #8 procedure is the one I followed.

Basically you’re hooking the Windows laptop (with the 2 files) to the un-powered Cenoz with USB cable per normal… and then HOLD the button (between the USB and power connectors) while powering on the laser machine. That puts the board in “upload mode”. Run the “upgrade.exe” and simple pop-up window with one button and progress bar… click the “Start Upgrading” button. Green progress bar starts and completes in less than a minute… no messages/status are shown and window return to same look as it began with. Power off the board and now stay away from that JL1 button. Start LB or some sender program and you should be able to connect and confirm that Grbl 1.1f is installed. You’ll probably have to change a couple of Grbl settings but the basics should be there.

I’ve got my machine running without homing but a fellow in my similar V1Engineering thread says these settings allow homing and limits… I haven’t confirmed.

$0=6
$1=255
$2=0
$3=3
$4=1
$5=1
$6=0
$10=1
$11=0.010
$12=0.002
$13=0
$20=1
$21=0
$22=1
$23=3
$24=600.000
$25=3000.000
$26=250
$27=1.000
$30=1000
$31=0
$32=1
$100=80.000
$101=80.000
$102=80.000
$110=9000.000
$111=9000.000
$112=9000.000
$120=1000.000
$121=1000.000
$122=1000.000
$130=220.000
$131=280.000
$132=1.000

Good luck!

– David

The “button” is between the USB and power connectors…

Ok…Now I understand.
Thank you.

It gets to about 80% and quits

Possibly it just momentarily flashes 100% and goes away? I’d pretend it completed and hook up LB or a sender program and see what you get…

I think this is where you can get into trouble. That crappy “upgrade.exe” program gives no indication that it completed and returns the progress bar to blank… if you blink, it’d be easy to miss that it actually ran.

Well it ran and Lightburn apperantly sees the machine.
But when I try to move the machine all I get is error dmassages.

that’s fine… it’s connected, now it’s just a matter if getting a few Grbl settings set…

Check the “Console” window in LB and check for a header that says something about Grbl 1.1f…

Issue “$X” to momentarily unlock the controller and try making a few small moves in X and Y… it’ll probably lock up again. “$$” will list all the Grbl settings… make them match the settings I posted a few posts back and it’ll probably start acting right…

*Yes, it does show grbl 1.1f
Right now I’m trying to change the setting to match yours

Damn it.
I forgot how to make changes

“$<setting#>=value”

i.e. “$100=80”