Cutting out part of image

newbie here.
I’m trying to create a book/ipad stand. The goal is to have the rectangle with rounded corners and a scroll design inside.
I’ve managed to create a rectangle with rounded corners. Then I tried 2 methods for the interior:

1. Trace image of a scroll design then place it inside rectangle. Parts of the scroll are outside the lines of the rectangle. How do I cut out the parts of scroll image that are outside the lines of rectangle?
  2. I then tried to group the unedited rectangle with the traced scroll. After that I tried to round the corners. Still no go.
    The trace image will not allow me to convert to path. I realize there is something obvious I’m missing here. Any help is appreciated.

This clip might help

Let me know

Gary

When using this feature, ‘Trace Image’, the result is already a set of vector path shapes, so no further conversion is required, thus not available.

The ‘Boolean’ tools can work well for this requirement. Redirecting...

This video should help in understanding what these do and which should be used to accomplish the desired result.

Edit: I just remembered I had replied to a post about a year ago where the shape was much more challenging, but shows what can be achieved with these Modifiers.

and another example, if not for now then maybe the future :slight_smile:

Use pattern into a box or frame

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.