Engraving a picture, laser shuts down in about 3 to 4 minutes

I installed version 0.9.19, tried running a image, laser went busy, then stopped at 2 minutes. Unable to restore connection had to power off then power on the laser. Is there some new setting that I missed?

No new setting - Try a different USB cable if you have one, especially if you have one with shielding or a ferrite ring on one end. A lot of the issues we’ve seen appear to be poor cabling or electrical noise.

I bought ferrite cable clamps and made sure there is one on each end. Secured the usb cable. I will try a new cable. I have a 3D Printer and it has a same type USB Cable Connection to my PC and I never have any communication problems.

Installed new Shield HI-SPEED USB 28AWG cable. Tried same print job got to 30% complete, about 32 minutes. Tried it a second time stopped at 4 minutes 16 seconds. Powered off then back on. Tried the Pause button, then Resume it worked the laser started moving again but the laser beam was off. It continued moving but stopped burning/engraving.

The pause / resume is another bug in the Ortur firmware. They’re aware of it, and working on a fix. This is not a LightBurn bug, and does not happen on any other hardware.

Is there a plug and play replacement board for my Ortur Laser Master 2 that works reliably with LightBurn? If so where and how much?

There is not a plug and play replacement that I’m aware of.

Tried printing the same print job using LaserGRBL v3.8.0. It printed 141456 Lines, 3 hours, 15 minutes, 0 Errors. It printed fine, but unable to print the same job in LightBurn v0.9.19.

The same job, as in you generated the GCode in LightBurn and ran it from LaserGRBL? Or you just generated it from LaserGRBL? The first would be a truly valid test, the second less so, because LaserGRBL uses a different mode (constant power vs variable power).

I let LaserGRBL generate the job, it came up with an “.NC” file name. I let LightBurn generate the job and it came up with an “.lbrn” file name. The LaserGRBL .NC File printed fine, The LightBurn .lbrn file will not finish, it stops responding in anywhere from 2 to 30 minutes. Can LightBurn generate a “.NC” file? and print it?

LightBurn and LaserGRBL both generate GCode, and send that to the controller. If you click the ‘Save GCode’ button in LightBurn, you can save it to a file:

You should be able to send that GCode to the laser using LightBurn, LaserGRBL, or anything else that sends gcode. They’re all just text commands. The LBRN file is a LightBurn project file.

How do I get LightBurn to import or run an existing “.NC” file generated by LaserGRBL? I see the run GCode button, but how does the image appear the window?

Tried running .NC file, connection lost in 6 minutes and 14 seconds.

I have no idea why this happens. It doesn’t happen for any other hardware with anywhere near this frequency. I’ve run jobs for hours on other boards with no dropouts. I don’t get it. I’m going to have to go dig through LaserGRBL’s code to see if they’re doing anything cute like re-connecting the USB automatically if it drops. I can’t think of any other reason it would be stable there but not in LightBurn.

Also worth checking: Constant Grbl ‘$’ command cannot be used unless Grbl is IDLE. Ensures smooth operation during a job. Error: 8

Thanks for checking, Is it possible that I have an incorrect setting or configuration? I have been using LaserGRBL to engrave .JPGs and seems to be working fine. I like LightBurn because you can do more with it. Also when engraving in LightBurn and it loses the connection I can not reconnect without powering off the Otur Laser Master 2 and powering it back on. Clicking on the Device button and selecting GRBL will not reconnect without first powering off.

The Ortur machine, if powered, acts as though it is connected, even when the USB isn’t active - they don’t reset the controller when the USB connects like most other systems do, so you have to power cycle the Ortur itself.

Hi, I also opened a ticket with Ortur, they said they are getting a lot of calls on this issue and suggested that I ground the machine, so I made a ground wire and connected to a ground and my Ortur Laser Master 2 frame. So far it is working I have done three 20 minute images without any issues. Still testing. Grounding the machine seems to resolve the issues. I will try engraving some longer jobs and let you know.

1 Like

I’ve heard similar from a couple different users - one said he was getting static buildup from the X axis belt moving back & forth badly enough that when it discharged it made a visible arc and rebooted his PC. It would be nice if it turned out to be this simple to fix.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.