Enlarging my Ortur workspace

You shrank the size virtually. Since that area exists physically inside the workspace, it will work.

Yes that’s what I’ve been saying. There’s no way for the machine to physically go outside the boundaries. The workspace doesn’t exist.

The machine will hit it’s limits and you’ might get a lot of noise, some damage maybe or it simply won’t work.

You have to size the virtual machine to the physical limitations.

The resolution to this is ‘how did you do this’?

What @LaserWillie is suggesting is that you did not do anything to your machine you just want the software to make it bigger.

Now I’m confused. Did you make the machine physically larger to accommodate the extra area you wish to use. If the size from the factory is 400x430, software can’t make your machine physically larger. After modifying the hardware, you should be able to make it work.

:smiley_cat:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they only enlarged the workspace in the software. They didn’t modify the frame physically.

It’s like wishing you could run 10 miles without ever training to run. You can wish for something but you’re constrained by reality.

I’d buy a $200, 500 mw machine and purchase the software to make it a co2 at 150 watts… :crazy_face:

I hope this isn’t the road he’s going down.

Although I do like his cat.

1 Like

I did make it bigger. This may change some of the answers to this question. I apologize if I confused anyone or omitted pertinent information.

2 Likes

This is very pertinent information. And that’s why I asked

Since you physically altered it you can do as @berainlb commented and you will be able to utilize the entire space.

When asking a question, please include things so people don’t have to do 20 questions and simply guess. It will save everyone time and energy and you’ll get better answers faster.

1 Like

I guess I assumed (I hate that I did that) everyone knew I physically increased it. It would make absolutely no sense at all, in my opinion, to increase the size in the software if you don’t physically have that space to use. Hence why I “assumed” everyone knew that. That’s on me for that. I take full responsibility for it.

Also…IN MY DEFENSE…my original post states:
"I enlarged my workspace of my OLM2 from 430 on the Y-Axis to 1000. Big jump I know."

So I did provide this information. I think someone missed it when replying. I probably should have thrown in the words “physically enlarged…

1 Like

It’s 2021. NOTHING would surprise me these days. The next few years are going to be wild.

1 Like

Your post was confusing all around. It was why I asked clarifying questions. It was the first question I asked. Either way, enjoy the new workspace.

1 Like

I think @LaserWillie sent us down the wrong road, even if he was right, depending on how you look at it.

You know what they say ‘assume’ really means.

If this is the worst that happens today, I’ll be tickled.

@Cowski you don’t have to defend yourself. 2 out of three got the message.

It’s a communication bump, that’s all… Like the USB plug fell out for a few, get over it…

Lets move forward…

@Cowski did you try the changes? (love your cat)

Like to know how it worked out… Curious how tight your alignment will be when operating…

A picture initially would have helped tremendously I think too. :smiley:

1 Like

Far from it, but ok. Have a good day.

You clarified the issue, good job. You did the right thing, we are hear to get information from each other and to learn… We are all lost if the communications break down…

Look at our Congress… :sob:

1 Like

That’s a very different story and we should never engage in politics in the forum. Never a good mix. We are here to learn and this website should be and remain off limits to controversial topics in my opinion. It’s just too loaded and it’s international.

@Cowski Also to clarify, the $$ commands @berainlb gave you need to be input in the command console of LightBurn.

1 Like

@Cowski For clarity, the Console that @LaserWillie is referring to is found on the right side of the UI. You’ll have to choose the tab.

You can find more information about Common GRBL setups on the LightBurn documentation site:
Common Grbl Setups - LightBurn Software Documentation

Let us know how this works for you. Good luck on the modification.

2 Likes

Once I got lightburn, I though I only used the ‘Edit → Machine Settings’ to manipulate/save them…

1 Like

Ahh… Could very well be. I’ve never used that approach and I’m not connected to my laser to check.

Putting this here for reference:
Machine Settings - LightBurn Software Documentation

1 Like

You definitely have to increase the limit in the firmware, not just LightBurn. The firmware prevents you from going too far by limiting movements to inside the space it thinks it has available.

FWIW, that expansion looks epic – nice work! QQ: the wires from the board to the X-axis gantry point look way too short for this longer stretch – do you plan to extend them too?

I think he needs a wireless connection for that span… lol…

As an ex police officer, you clearly didn’t “get the message” initially and went right to insinuating and insulting them.

God help whoever you have questioned in the past. Qualifying questions are meant to clarify a situation, which is something you clearly did not do.