Chinese 700x500mm 100W laser. EFR tube. Mechanical Z-axis. Ruida 6442G controller. I’ve been poking and prodding, doing test cuts and making small items.
Have found and fixed the following:
- Inconsistent burns/line width: Honeycomb bed warped; added 6x spring-adjustable mounting screws (similar to 3D printer) to level the honeycomb after adjusting the bed itself.
- Wobble: Adjusted acceleration settings and belt tension; almost entirely gone.
- Replaced exhaust jet engine (errr… blower) with a 440CFM duct fan. Not quite as effective, but whisper quiet.
- Getting ready to replace the DM545A stepper drivers with DM542T. I’m hoping the digital drivers will let me up the stepper current and smooth out the last of the resonance/bouncing/wobble.
- Changed microstepping from 2000 to 1600. That still gives (in theory) 500dpi, but gut feeling is there is just something fundamentally wrong with the microstepping not being a power of 2.
Stress test: 175x175mm mandala at 320mm/s and 1.5% power on cardboard.
“It’s not a $25K laser, but it looks like it’s going to do the job for my tinkering.” Combined with a 3D printer and a small CNC machine, “I have options”.