How to set origin point on a fixture

I am still new to Lightburn and struggling to get the following to work.

• EDIT:My laser is a TTP Laser String Ray with Ruida 6445G controller
  • I made a fixture in MDF from my Shapeoko for laser engraving.
  • I made a crosshairs target in the upper right corner that I could hover the laser red dot over (providing the red dot and laser are in perfect alignment) and set the origin point.
  • I exported this template from Carbide Create and an SVG file
  • Imported SVG template file into Lightburn
  • Turned the output off
  • Used the squares to type my text within

What I expected to happen is the green dot origin point would go to the cross hairs and start the job from there so I would have a 1 to 1 alignment between the fixture and my file in LightBurn.

However it is still always choosing the upper back right corner of the machine to start from so everything is out of alignment.

How can I set the cross hairs in my template (attached) so that the green dot start point is dead center on the crosshairs on the fixture that this same template was used to make? Does the software not work like this ?

Template.lbrn2 (23.6 KB)

If I understand what you`re after I believe the upper back right corner is defined in Ruida controller, (Red square) is machine origin. The green square is job origin.
After reading this docand understanding how the coordinate system and origin works on your laser you can alter to your preferences.

I read the document and tried the following.

Put the laser head over the crosshairs and tried the following

• Put it on user origin - pressed origin button on laser - did not frame correctly
  • Put it on current position - did not press origin on laser and sent file to laser from LB - did not work it is framing wrong
  • Put it on current position , pressed origin button on laser - did not frame correctly

*in both instances I tried clicking go to origin and the head hit the limit switches and froze the machine, I had to reboot it, Home also resulted in the same.

The controller is defined correctly with an area of 1300mm x 900mm

Seems like something is wrong here.

Look at your device settings and ensure the dot selected is the corner the machine goes to when it powers up… this is home or 0, 0.

If this is incorrect, it will never behave

The other areas are the Job origin and the Start from.

If it’s setup correctly, it should never collide with something… I think it’s pretty clear there is something amiss in the settings for the device or Lightburn.

My guess, if this is new, it’s the Lightburn configuration you’re having issues with.

What corner does it home? Does the console have 0, 0 for it’s location?

Which corner is set in the device settings within Lightburn?

:smile_cat:

When using User Origin or Current Position, you must also select a Job Origin location, which is either on the center or at a point along the perimeter of the graphics in your workspace (or selection, when using Cut Selected Graphics).

You could select the center origin if the crosshair were perfectly centered in your fixture, but since it’s off to the top right you’ll need to select top right as your origin point, and create a new rectangle whose top right corner is centered on the center of the crosshair, and use that — and not the original crosshair or outer rectangle — for orienting output and framing.

I’ve edited your file to show what I mean. I set the new rectangle to the T1 Tool layer, and everything else to the T2 Tool Layer. I toggled the Frame option off for for the T2 layer, meaning it will no longer be used for calculating origin.

Only the rectangle on the T1 Tool layer will be used for calculating origin, moving the origin point (and green square) to the center of the crosshair.

Template2.lbrn2 (23.6 KB)

Here are a few resources on the way these options work:

2 Likes