How to set up the SKR 1.3/1.4 Board with the K40 Laser

I’ve already got myself the TFT35 and it probably works without any problems with smoothie.
“Who needs UART if you can set things once and forget about them?”
You may be right!

“I edit my smoothie’s config file directly from Lighburn’s console. Easy.”
That sounds interesting! How does it work?

“Since I switched to the cluster flavor and updated to 0.9.20,”
I can’t say which version I’m actually using.

Where did you get yours from, or maybe you can upload them?
Your config.txt would also be interesting
You have probably not set the jumpers on the board to UART but for manual setting?
You have probably also switched the TFT to laser functions?

Sorry, that was just a misunderstanding! Of course I use version 0.9.20 at Lightburn!
Which Smoothie firmware are you using?

Do you mean config-get and config-set ???

I just tested it!
Thank you for the tip with reading and writing settings on the config.txt!
That is really very elegant!
Maybe you can tell me something about optimizing the surface of the TFT35.

wolfgang

I see you know your way around, Great :slight_smile:
Are you able to raster at 250mms/254 without issues? are you using a good quality USB cable? you should. Have you installed the Cluster flavor of Smoothiware and enabled Cluster mode in LightBurn? I am running this flavor:

What do you mean by Optimizing TFT35 surface? i did change few things like the MOVE menu to reflex the correct Y movement and also recompiled the firmware with my move commands since the default code was lasing when my laser head was moving (as we discussed, G1 vs G0) - so i added the S0 flag to stop this from happening.

Cheers

Many thanks!
I have already downloaded the firmware that I have been using up to now from the Cohesion3D homepage, in Lightburn Cluster … is activated and yesterday I tested 300dpi at 250mm / s without problems. I can go higher today. Then I’m probably up to date.
How can you change commands that are triggered by the buttons?

greetings

Wolfgang

You just edit and recompile the code which you can download from btt github.
Here’s an example for the MOVE menu. this is not my laser code so you wont find S0 here.

Hello Squid, could you help us with jumper configuration, (picture, link or diagram) if you said you use the TMC2208 in standalone mode?

On Bigtreetech manual (https://github.com/bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-SKR-V1.3/blob/master/BTT%20SKR%20V1.4/BTT%20SKR%20V1.4%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf) I could only find configuration for other drivers, for TMC2208 they only specify how to use them in UART mode.

I know i have to desolder the 3 jumpers pads from underneath (correct me if i’m wrong) but from there i’m lost.

I should specify i use SKR 1.4 Turbo.

Thank you for all your help.

I never soldered nor desoldered anything on these 2208’s. just used the jumpers to set microstepping.
this was a year ago. can’t remember if i’m on 8 or 16 microstepping which means either all jumpers are out or MS1 and MS2 are pulled up (installed).

dc4574978746fca85ba3396f58a213b37e764e19

1 Like

Can someone tell me where to find the circuit diagram for a Smoothieboard?

The TFT35 is attached.
The problem now is that it says no printer is connected. Can you change that or is it normal? Now I can only move the X and Y axes and nothing more. If the connection to the board could be completely established, a lot more would be possible.

Hi Squid,
does your TFT35 connect to the SKR V1.3 or do you also get the information “No connection to the printer”?

“No printer attached” regardless the fact that the screen controls the cutter. this message is shown only on main screen. not in other menus.

On their github

What do you need the display for?
From my point of view, you can then save the money for it!
You cannot query or enter settings such as acceleration or speed.
You can only move the axes.

I did not buy it for the cutter, but for my 3D printers. i have some spare controllers and screens as well as 3D printer stuff laying around. I don’t use the screen much but when i do it is mainly for its terminal for me to send some gcodes to test the overall system out for like air assist, fuse extractor, beam pulse, move axis, etc. I do not have a PC near my cutter. when i will, I won’t use the screen as much if at all. Why have spare parts in a box when you can use them meanwhile :slight_smile:

A year ago or so i asked Oz if it’s possible to send lightburn commands from these screens to trigger like frames and such (sending commands from screen to controller which talks to lightburn via the usb). I guess this is not a high priority feature. Anyway, once I will find compact and cheapo pc to place near my cutter, i would go for it.

But then you have Marlin on your printer and the TFT35 works with it!
It is a shame that there is no one here he can change the smoothie so that it works completely with the TFT and also works with 2208 via UART! For me these are the two things Marlin can do better or am I getting it wrong?

Let me ask you this instead: isn’t this a shame that Marlin is not yet finetuned for Laser Cutters? :wink:
When it comes to 3D printers Smoothie is far behind Marlin but for laser cutter you should (i think…) prefer Smoothie/Cluster. Search this forum for those who tried Marlin on their laser cutter controllers.
I never tried Marlin for my laser cutter and wish to try it but only after knowing and seeing others running lasers with lightburn and getting better results than with smoothie - only then I will switch over.

BTW, I just upgraded one of my delta printers and installed SKR 1.3 and TMC2226 running smoothieware and prints are amazingly beautlful. I will switch my printers to marlin but i am too old to waste my time fiddling with configurations which youngsters have more time to play with :slight_smile:

Cheers.

1 Like

Hello can you share the config for the pin 2.3 setting please ?

Does smoothie actually work with dynamic laser control? So at the end of the line the laser power is reduced?

yes, it has full PWM control of your power.